Prologue

We open up with a shot of post-apocalyptic future earth, a desolate landscape dotted with the ruins of former cities. we see a rat crawling through the abandoned cityscape only for it to be snatched up and swallowed whole by a giant mutant insect resembling a beetle/praying mantis hybrid before it flies off to join the rest of its kind as they fly over the ruins. We then hear a narration by the Professor, saying "It is the year 2358, and Earth has become a sterile ball of death and despair, moss and vines grow over the buildings of our former cities which we have since abandoned. mutated insects fly through the heavily polluted skies in swarms and are very aggressive. no vertebrate larger than a Norway rat, which are quite common, was left alive. these were the images we saw during Mankind's last day on Earth. what happened to us, you may ask? the answer is quite simple, really. humans have left the planet completely, and are now living aboard the starship Von Braun". we then zoom out of the desolate husk of a planet before we cut to a shot of the massive starship drifting through space. we are then introduced to the professor, an elderly man with gray hair, glasses, and a goatee sitting in a hoverchair due to him being paralyzed from the waist down as he is doing lab work in his laboratory aboard the Von Braun. he then hears a voice shouting "professor Barlowe! professor Barlowe!" as a zeppelin-like robot the size of a small car with a blue paintjob enters the lab and hovers over the handicapped professor with excitement. Professor Barlowe asks the robot, named Leo, what's gotten him so excited. Leo tells the professor "today's the big day, professor! I'm finally going on the Project: Regenesis mission!" Professor Barlowe then gets teary-eyed upon hearing this, which concerns Leo who asks the professor if he's okay. Professor Barlowe tells him it's nothing, saying "It's just... you've been preparing for this moment since you first came online, and now it's finally here, and..." Leo then extends his retractable robotic arm and places it on the professor's hand, telling him "It'll be okay, professor. besides, isn't finding you humans a new home what you always wanted?" Professor Barlowe then hugs Leo's birdlike head, telling him "of course it's what I always wanted, It's just that I didn't want anything bad to happen to my one and only son". Leo assured the professor he'll be fine, and the Professor tells Leo that it's a father's job to worry about his son before wishing the blue probe good luck, telling him "now go, mankind is counting on you".