3 | loss of childhoods

CHAPTER 3,

LOSS OF CHILDHOODS

TIME SET:Past, 1995

TIME SET:
Past, 1995

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

HOURS HAVE PASSED since the incident that had struck when the family of five tried to leave Ohio. The plane finally lands in the desired location; they now find themselves in Cuba, specifically in an open area that belongs to the military. Once the engine comes to an abrupt stop, the doors of the aircraft swing open to allow each of the family members to clamber out altogether. Alexei doesn't seem to pay any attention to his children, all focus on his injured wife that's lost a lot of blood throughout the journey.

Immediately, multiple men dressed in camouflage uniform come running towards the family to rush to Melina's aid. They carefully take the brown haired woman from Alexei's arms, which then allows him to wander off and speak to an older man standing nearby (Dreykov). Neither one of the three sisters dare to leave their mothers sides. They simply stand and watch as she's placed upon a stretcher so that first-aid can tend to her wound professionally.

Melina reaches out and takes ahold of her daughters hands to provide comfort to them. However, since people only have two hands, both Clover and Yelena have to hold the same hand. Salty tears are rolling down each of the young girls cheeks, a mixture of emotions swirling around in their stomachs. The sight of their mother still bleeding out from a bullet wound doesn't make them feel any better, worried on whether she'll make it out alive.

"Get up, Mommy." Clover pleas through choked sobs. "Please. You have to."

"Pain only makes you stronger." Yelena adds, trying to remind her of the phrase that's said to each of the sisters. "Remember?"

"My babies." Melina says with a weak smile. "You're going to be okay, little ones. Mama's going to be okay too."

"Forgive me, Mom. I'm scared." Natasha tells her in Russian.

"Never let them take your heart." Melina whispers.

The soldiers, who were all lingering around the girls and their mother, grow annoyed of putting up an act of patience and eventually shove each of the sisters out of the wall. Natasha is quick to move away and pull the twins into a hug to ensure that nothing will happen. The three simply stand there and watch as Melina is carried away into another plane so that her wound will be tended to. But an ache strikes Clovers chest as her heart begins to long for her mother.