13 | family reunion

CHAPTER 13,

FAMILY REUNION

✦ ·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  · ✦

THE FOUR CONTINUE to walk along the narrow path until they eventually find themselves heading down a small hill. At the bottom of this hill, a metal fence can be seen caging off a barn that belongs to nine pigs. A pen, which also looks like a maze, is in the centre of this all and currently has pigs running out of it in an attempt to run into the barn. In front of this all, Melina stands there with a gun held at hand as a precaution. Her gaze shifts between each of the girls that she calls her daughters, a hint of shock filling her body at the sight of them.

Clover finds herself at Melina because, unlike Alexei, she doesn't look like she's aged a day. Due to this, all the memories of Melina's kind heart come flooding through in an instant. The woman had always made sure that the girls had a good upbringing during the three years that they spent together, especially since they had taken both Clover and Yelena into care at only three years old.

"Honey..." Alexei begins with a wide smile. "We're home."

Nothing is said in response. Melina walks through the gate of the fence and begins to silently make her way towards a small wooden house located nearby. This leaves the four to then trail behind Melina with a slight hint of uncertainty filling their bodies; they haven't seen the woman in years and only recently found out that she still works for Dreykov, so who's stopping her from turning her backs to them.

The door is gently pushed open where everyone is then welcomed inside, leaving Melina to close the door behind them all. Clover gazes around at her new surroundings to see that it has more of a vintage setting, which gives a sense of nostalgia since it's similar to the decor in their home in Ohio. A warm yellow lighting beams in each of the rooms, lighting the place up so that they aren't standing in darkness.

"Welcome to my humble abode." Melina says with a light sigh. "Make yourself at home."

"No funny business." Natasha warns.

Clover just chooses to ignore what's being said by the pair, knowing that Natasha is already on edge since they have no proof to trust Melina yet. Instead, the blonde follows Yelena into the main room where she instantly notices how homely the area looks. It looks like a very peaceful and quiet place to live, especially since the house is essentially located in the middle of nowhere. But Clover loves the idea of owning a home like this because she longs for the sense of peace.

"It kinda feels weird being here as a family." Yelena whispers.

"Tell me about it." Clover replies, agreeing.