Chapter Four

Otel Hezen was the largest hotel on the island. It was never quite determined how the fire started that destroyed the majority of the grand hotel. Some say one of the occupants fell asleep with a cigarette in their hand and others claim they saw lightning strike one of the spires. Whatever the cause was three quarters of it now lay in disrepair and would not be functional again for the better part of the year. 

While the majority of the island spent the better part of their morning at the hotel ruins gawking and taking photos Ayça was pouring over the hotel blueprints and on the phone with her accountants and financial advisors. They all told her the same thing it was going to take a lot of hard work and a boat load of money to get that hotel back and running again. 

Ayça sat on one of the rust eaten lounge chairs that rested near the shoreline. She pulled out the wrinkled cocktail napkin from her pocket even in sorrow there is hope.  She looked out at the expansive sea, begging for a sign any sign as to what she should do. Maybe everyone was right, she was no match for this endeavor. 

"Ayça, there is someone here to see you" called Nehir from the balcony above the dune. Ayça let out a deep breath and began to mentally prepare herself. If it was that pervert again she claimed no responsibility if she chucked something at his head this time.  She climbed up the steps to meet her cousin who was waiting for her at the top of the landing. 

"Nehir, if its that horrible bastard -" 

Ahem.

Ayça slowly turned to see Alp and another man who she didn't recognize standing behind her. 

"I see you didn't take my advice Sancak" 

A feline grin spread over Nehirs face at Alps flirtatious tone with her cousin. 

Ayca let out a sigh "What do you want?" 

Alp chuckled and stroked his jaw "My manager and I have come to propose a business proposition" 

"You're manager?" 

The man wearing dark colored sunglasses with equally expensive trainers reached his hand out towards her "Ugur Selek"

She shook it, cocking an eyebrow towards Alp "Why do you need a manager?" 

Before Alp could answer Ugur burst out "Because he is Alp Erdogan" Ayça continued with the same blank expression "The most famous face of Turkey?" A faint pink tinge crept across Alps face. 

"Right" Ayça said "Okay Mr. Famous, what could you possibly want with my shitty rundown hotel. Trust me it doesn't get any better when you get inside" 

Alp motioned to Ugur who pulled some documents from his briefcase, giving her a bad case of deja vu. 

"Alp bey, Im not selling my hotel" she said fanning herself with the bundle of papers. 

Alp waved his hands as if they were white flags "Please just Alp, and I don't want to buy your hotel. I want to help you restore this hotel back to its former glory" 

"People don't usually just freely give away money, what are you getting in return?" 

"Our entire production team was staying at Otel Hezen and now thats it for lack of a better word burnt to a crisp they have all been displaced." he paused "Not only am I starring in this series but I also am producing it. We can't afford to stop production let alone move it to another location. By helping you, its saving us millions of dollars" 

"Why my hotel? Why not make this offer to the Otel Hezen?" 

Alp looked at her, she watched as a funny expression came over him. "The Otel Hezen doesn't have these views." 

Ugur cleared his throat loudly. 

"Of the ocean I mean" Alp quickly stammered out. 

Maybe her father was right, selling the hotel would be the easiest option and the quicker she could get back to New York . She opened her mouth to tell him that she was not interested but stopped when she caught sight of her aunt and Nehir in her periphery. Selma was wringing her hands and Nehir picked at her nail polish shifting her weight from one foot to the other. The hope mixed with anticipation filled their eyes as they both watched her. It made her heart sink. 

She sighed. "Okay partner we have a deal" as she stuck her hand out and he shook it. Once in her grasp she pulled him firmly towards her until they were close but not touching. "The moment you start getting too big for your britches Mr. Famous...Im kicking you out so mind your manners" she watched as he swallowed hard. 

Ugur clapped his hands together "Its settled then, I will call the contractor and his workers so that they can head over right away" 

"RIght now?" Ayca asked. 

Alp nodded. "We have about eight hours until sundown, the team needs a place to rest tonight. They can't spend another night camping on the beach"

Alp and the team of construction workers were assigned to make the grounds safe for visitors. Ayca, her aunt, cousin and some of the women from the island were busy scrubbing the floors and polishing the wood. Moth eaten curtains were taken down and the old furniture was hauled out of the hotel. Ayça was busy directing the men where to put the new reception desk when a man dressed in a bright flamboyant caftan appeared. 

"Shock! Shock!" he exclaimed as he snapped his fan in front of Ayça's face and began to furiously fan himself. 

"Im sorry sir but we are not open yet for customers" 

He let out a dramatic chuckle "Oh no darling im not here to stay. I am Gorkem, designer extraordinaire and tailor to the elite of the island" 

"Gorkem! We don't have time for your dramatics!" scolded Selma whose cheeks where flush and hair sticking out of her bun like hay"Did you bring the curtains?" 

He rolled his eyes as he sashayed over to Selma. 

Ayça went into the kitchen to help distribute water to the men who were working outside under the hot afternoon sun. Each of the men was appreciative for the cooling refreshment. 

"Have you seen Alp?" 

One of the men pointed to around the corner of the building. She found him pounding away at a wall. He had taken his shirt off and deeply cut lines demarcating each muscle glistened with a sweaty sheen. 

He noticed her standing there and hurried over "Is one of those for me?" 

She nodded trying to quickly regain her composure "You are knocking down that wall?" 

He nodded "Wanna give it a shot?" 

Before she could protest he grabbed her by the hand and put the sledgehammer in it. He guided her hands to form a firm grip as they slid up and down the shaft. She struggled to lift it at first but once she got the momentum going there was no stopping her. 

"Focus! Take out all of your anger on that wall...pretend its that horrible bastard or if it helps my face!" he chuckled. 

It was addictive to watch the cement crumble with each powerful hit. She lost track of how many times she hit it as Alp cheered her on. He grabbed the second sledgehammer and both of them took out their pent up frustrations. They stopped only when there was a large hole in the wall. They peered through the opening. On the other side they could see a brick monument and a fountain that was partially covered in ivy. 

They continued chipping away at the concrete until there was a space large enough for them to pass through. The fountain was made of white marble and at the base there were the skeletons of flowers that were once planted there. Behind the fountain was a brick wall. Certain bricks had dates on them while others were unmarked. 

"I wonder why this was walled off?"