Chapter Twenty-One

Eight Months Later - Present Day 

All right New Yorkers, grab your solar viewing glasses. This is the first time in four years that a solar eclipse will be visible in New York City. Now rain clouds will gather later in the evening but they should not disturb this celestial event. If you aren't familiar with what a solar eclipse is, its when the sun and moon come together in the sky and- 

Ayça lowered the volume of the television to answer her phone.  Biriciks high pitched voice came through on the other end. 

"So how excited are you for your big debut today?" 

She felt her stomach twist into a giant knot "Its not a big debut" 

"Performing at Irving plaza is a HUGE deal! You need to stop being so humble! Your first single is breaking records on the charts!" 

"I've been thinking maybe this whole singing thing isn't for me...I like my peace and quiet...I mean I couldn't even go to Russ's today to grab a bagel without being mobbed...." 

A high pitched squeal from Biricik cut her off from what she was telling her "Oh my god! I totally forgot your big date with Alex last night!!! ...So can we expect you two to become the newest IT couple?" 

Ayça's attention was briefly captured by the images of past solar eclipses on the television. 

"Hello- are you still there" 

"It wasn't a date...we just grabbed dinner after finishing at the studio" 

"Well I heard that he is completely head over heels in love with you...come on Ayça it's been eight months, if you want to get over Mr. Brooding you need to put yourself out there" 

Its Mr. Famous, not Mr. Brooding.  The mere thought of Alp made her heart race and ache at the same time. She didn't have the galls to google if the marriage had already taken place and she wasn't entirely sure that her heart could handle seeing him married off to that awful woman. 

"Or are the rumors true are you finally dating Charles Brandon?"

"Im not dating anyone" she said as she gave her friend an excuse that she needed to go take care of something. 

While Charles had been as supportive as Biricik, she never saw him in a romantic way. He was simply her friend and that was it nothing more and nothing less. 

She looked at the time on her clock in three hours time she would be getting ready to walk across the stage and perform for the first time in her life at a major music hall. Her heartbeat quickened at the though of it. 

She put on her solar viewing glasses as she watched the sun and the moon come together for the first time in four years.  

The hair and makeup people spent the better part of an hour getting her ready. The makeup artist lined her eyes with dark kohl as the stylist teased and curled her hair into tousled waves. They had initially wanted her to squeeze into a figure hugging ballgown but this did not fit the aesthetic of her song. She protested until they settled on a simple yet elegant floral dress. 

"You are on in 3....2....1...." 

She walked out on to the stage to scattered applause as the bright lights nearly blinded her. She sat down on the stool in the front of the microphone as she looked around at the experienced band members who were watching her closely clearly noticing her inexperience. 

"Hi everybody" she paused to prevent her voice from shaking. "Some of you may recognize this song,  it's called something more" 

The crowd broke out into applause as the band began to playing the opening intro. She closed her eyes as she allowed each note to fill her and steady her shaking legs. She gripped the mic and her thoughts filled of her mother, how proud she would have been to be watching her up on this stage in front of hundreds of people.