10

Alto screws a hook into one the walls in Keys room, making sure there's enough room for the deer skull they found to hang on it without touching the ceiling. "Hows that look? Low enough?"

Keys eyeballs it, holding the skull up to compare. "Yup! Thank for helping me with this dad!" She passes the skull to him, watching him hang the large bone up.

"No problem kiddo. We gotta make this room yours somehow, right?" He steps down from the latter, taking a look at his work. "We're gonna go to the old house and pack up a bunch of stuff to bring over tomorrow, maybe Jack can take you to the shop to pick out some paint chips while your mom and I pack."

"That would be so cool! Thank you!" Keys hugs him, happy as can be.

Alto hugs her back, patting her back gently. "Of course, gotta make this your home too." He wants Keys to be happy here, happy Keys, happy Ross. "Hey? How about we set up something for you to meet your sister? I think she'd like to meet you."

"Really? I wanna meet Meri!" She starts jumping up and down, bolting out of the room to tell her mom what Alto said.

————————————————————

"This is gross, can we watch something else?" Jack groans, shifting around in bed.

"Theres ten minutes left," Ross reasons. "Then you can pick a movie, okay?"

"Theyre eating people!"

"Theyre cannibals dear, we read you the movie description."

"I didn't think it would be this bad though!"

Ross rolls her eyes, poking Alto to get his attention. "Chicken wants to watch something else."

"I am not a chicken!"

"Yes you are." Alto mutters, stopping the movie and ejecting it. "Go pick a different one."

Jack crawls over Ross to get out of bed. "I'm picking what I want, you two don't get a say." He grabs the disk from the DVD player and goes off to find a different movie for them to watch.

"Is he always like that on movie night?" She asks, sliding closer to Alto.

"Nah, only with gore movies. I wanted to see if he finally got over that, guess not."

"Its kinda cute, though I think he kept hiding his face in my chest on purpose."

"Oh yeah, he's definitely doing that on purpose. He did something similar when we first started dating too." Alto yawns, closing his eyes. "I have to go on a trip after tomorrow for a field study, you four gonna be alright?"

"Mhm, I can handle them just fine, if Jack gets to be too much I'll just take off his amulet and put it on the shelf."

He snorts. "Only you would figure out a way to control Jack. He'll behave, promise."

"I trust you, thank you Adam." Ross snuggles into Altos side, already falling asleep. "Goodnight dear, I love you."

Trust..... Alto smiles, he fucked up all those years ago trusting Lilly, but now its getting back to normal. "Goodnight Eve, love you too."

——————————————————

"Adam be careful! Oh for fucks sake don't hurt yourself!" Ross drops the box she was holding and rushes over to Alto, grabbing one of the boxes from the stack he was attempting to carry all by himself. "You stubborn old crow, you're gonna get hurt again."

"Nah, and even if I do get hurt I have you to watch over me. Thanks for the help darlin'." Alto goes out to his truck, loading in the two boxes in his arms. "Anything else we need right now? Its almost time to meet up with Jack and Keys."

"Yes actually, this ones kinda important." Ross stuffs her box into the truck, slamming the door. "Come on, my room, now."

"I like the sound of that." Alto jokes, getting dragged back into the house. "Hey hey, what's so important that you have to drag me around like a rag doll?"

"You'll see! Close your eyes, no cheating!" Ross leads him to her old room helping him sit on her bed. "Ready?"

He puts his hands over his three eyes, tapping his foot. "Yes, hurry up! I'm curious."

She laughs, picking up the last box she packed and setting it in his lap. "There honey, I hope you remember these."

Alto uncovers his eyes, quickly taking the lid off the box. His old diaries, a good chunk of them anyway. "Eve I.... thank you, I honestly thought you would have burned these after I cheated on you...."

"You didn't cheat, you were taken, and I could never do that. These were the only physical things I had left of you, I wasn't gonna let them go so easily." She kisses the top of Altos head. "But they're yours, and I have you back, so they did their job."

"And you're never gonna need them again, Lillys gone and I'm not dumb anough to fall for the same trick twice." He takes out one of his diaries, flipping though the pages. "Did you read them?"

"Only one, the one from right before Lilly got you. Even then you were more worried about me then yourself."

"I'll always worry more about you then myself. You, Jack, and the kids are what keep me going."

"You always were a family man. Come on, let's get takeout for dinner."

——————————————————

The three adults sat on the porch, Ross sipping her water and looking out to the wilderness. "I like it here, its quiet."

"I like it too, hikes are fun on days off." Jacks comments, grabbing Altos beer and taking a sip.

"Hey give that back!" Alto snatches the beer back from his husband. "Asshole, get your own."

"It was just a sip, I don't want more than that. I'll get you another one, grumpus." Jack curls under his blanket, pulling it closer.

"Alright alright, sorry." Alto puts his arm over Jacks shoulders, sipping his drink. "You two gonna be okay while I do my field work?"

"Yes dear, if I can handle Lilith, I can handle Jack."

"As if."

"Try me Bright."

Alto watches the two bicker lightly, grinning. "You two bitch like an old married couple, ya know that?"

Ross dips her fingers in her water and flicks it at her husband. "Hush. Come on, I'm getting cold and I think its bedtime."