Chapter 10: The Calm Before The Storm

Ram: Demon?

Emilia: Slayer?

Beatrice: Corps?

Everyone looked shocked at Kaoi. As the words that came from his mouth didn't make any sense to them. Rage returns to Rem's eyes.

Rem: You mean to tell me that you're part of an organization that hunts demons for a living?

Ram's face also seemed to grow in contempt as she hugged her sister closer to hold her back. Kaoi felt hurt that he seemed to have lost the goodwill from the pink maid but proceeded to explain.

Kaoi: The Demon Slayer Corps. We number in the hundreds. An organization completely unrecognized by the government. Since ancient times we have existed to hunt down demons. With no magic power at our disposal, we face them with only our swords by our side.

Demons

Their staple food, humans. They kill and feed on them. It is unclear when or where they first appeared. Incredible physical prowess. Their wounds almost heal instantly. Flesh completely restores itself. Severed limbs regenerated. They can use special powers called Demon Blood Arts to cast powerful techniques or are the supernatural abilities possessed by each of them. They can only be killed by sunlight or decapitation with a special sword.

Nevertheless, the demon slayers fight these demons with mere mortal bodies. As humans, wounds are slow to heal and lost limbs never grow back. Even so, they battle demons to protect and defend humanity.

(End at 1:25)

Everyone in the room paused. No one was sure what to say after that.

Emilia: ...Puck?

The silver half-elf looks at her father figure for confirmation. To see if what Kaoi had said was just some big lie.

Puck: Everything that Kaoi had just said just now was a hundred percent true.

Roswaal: Ohh myyy! I do hope I shouldn't take this as a threaat! It would be a shame that I would have to expel my new butlerr! and after we had him cleared of being a witch cultissst!

Rem: Oni don't hunt humans! Why would they do such a thing?

Kaoi: For most cases, the demons of my world feed on humans to gain power and to have a chance to become one of the Twelve Moons.

Beatrice: You are not making any sense, I suppose. If humans and demons exist in your world, then how come you said that technically there was only a single race. Do demons not count as people? And what are these Twelve Moons you speak of?

Ram: Yes, Bakaoi! Are we not considered people in your world?!

Kaoi: Because at some point in a Demon's past, they were once human.

This piece of information made everyone's eyes widen in surprise.

Emilia: Kaoi. What do you demons were once human?

Kaoi: Unlike the Oni of this world. Demons are not born but are created when a human is exposed to the blood of Muzan Kibutsuji, the king of all demons. The Twelve Moons is an organization made up of the twelve most powerful demons in existence that serve under his direct command.