Chapter 11: Demon Slayer

It was a quiet night in the "dungeon" for the jailed oni. As it is expected like the rest of the mansion. The room was fully furnished but the maid couldn't perform her duties. She had mostly taken to laying on the bed or sitting on the chair. Reflecting on what she had done the night prior.

Rem: I am truly worthless. If I had only listened to Sister and Lord Roswaal. I wouldn't have tried to murder Kaoi. Instead, I acted out of control and nearly killed an innocent man. I'm no different than the demons of his world. Maybe he should have killed me like he did the rest of those monsters. I would save everyone the trouble of-

But before she can continue this self-destructive train of thought. She hears the doors being unlocked and soon Emilia walks into the room.

Rem: Miss Emilia! What are you doing here at this hour?

Emilia: Kaoi told me that there is an attack in the village so he and Ram are going over there to stop it.

Rem: Sister and Kaoi are going to stop an attack!

Emilia: I wanted to help but Kaoi told me to trust that he and Ram will be okay. That I should go here to get you and hide in the Forbidden Library.

Rem: But Miss Emilia. Rem is under punishment by Lord Roswaal and shouldn't leave the dungeon.

Emilia: I know but Kaoi told me that you are still able to fight and protect me. If the attack reaches the mansion he wants us to be as safe as possible.

Rem: Kaoi thought Miss Emilia would be safe with me?

Emilia: While I am still upset with you, I want to believe you can still be a good girl and it seems like Kaoi thinks that way too. So please come with me. Hopefully, Kaoi has convinced Beatrice to let us enter the Forbidden Library.

Emilia then holds out her hand. Stunned Rem thinks this offer over for a moment.

Rem: Kaoi, the man I try to kill, believes I can be of use to Miss Emilia. Maybe this is Rem's chance at redemption.

Slowly Rem grasps Emilia's and soon Emilia guides Rem as she opens the door.

Beatrice: Took you long enough, I suppose.

Meanwhile with Kaoi and Ram

The sounds of fast steps can be heard as our butler and maid ran down the hill. As they approached the village it became clear that Teruo was telling the truth. The adults scurried around shouting the names of the missing children.

Ram: Mabeasts!

Kaoi: Mabeasts?

Ram: Unholy creatures of the witch's creation. The barrier must have been broken somehow!

Kaoi: Well that doesn't matter now! Look, Teruo is leading us to the forest!

The duo makes their way to the boarded-off forest area. Immediately seeing the footprints on the ground Kaoi jumps into action while Ram follows, catching the attention of the fretting adults.

?: Where are you two going?!

Kaoi: To find the missing children!

With that Kaoi and Ram enter the forest. Now trekking through the muddy terrain and endless foliage. Eventually, the duo arrives in a clearing with a hill in sight. On top of the hill are the missing children, passed out with a bite mark on each of them.

Kaoi: There they are!

Ram: This is bad! They've been cursed!

Kaoi: Cursed!