II | Patri

The sound of cracking leaves and small branches that was stepped on came to a halt. A blink passed and suddenly, you were back to your senses.

There was nothing but trees that were enveloped by darkness surrounding you. Through the cracks above, moonlight seeped just enough to create an illusion that the leaves of the tall trees were deliberately hiding you from the light.

Although you could not remember how and why you were inside a forest, fear did not creep in your heart. On the contrary, you felt at peace. It was odd. This brought back a memory when you were ten; you accidentally wandered inside a forest and you were also not scared at all.

In fact, that day could be counted as one of the best days in your life.

However, this was not the time to reminisce. It was a wonderful memory for you, yes, but it was not the same for your parents. They were worried to death at that time—your mother even passed out from stress. You almost drowned in their tears when the officers took you out of the forest.

Knowing that it was nighttime now and you're still not at home, your parents must be worried sick. You, yourself, did not even have a clue as to why you were still outside in your "Princess of Light" costume, but those two worrywarts would definitely still feel extremely protective over you—even if you try to cease it.

You might not be able to hang out after school for a month with Aria and your other friends because of this. A sigh escaped from your lips just by thinking about it.

This is why you better go home immediately.

You haven't even completed turning around when a loud sound of a branch cracking erupted in the dark forest. For the first time since you became aware that you're lost inside this place, you felt a sense dread. However, it was not the dark forest that you fear, but the sound of footsteps on dried leaves approaching you quickly.

You reflexively turned towards the opposite direction from where the hurried footsteps where coming from; to attempt to run as fast as you can. Without hesitation, you lifted the front of your skirt and started to run.

Although you were pretty quick to realize that you need to escape from the person chasing you, they were also able to think fast and use the fact that you were wearing a gown to their advantage. They stepped on the helm of your white dress and simultaneously tugged at the fabric to stop you from running away.

You were no match for their strength as you slipped harshly on the ground, earning a few small bruises on your arms from the twigs and ragged stones. But you paid no mind to the pain, more determined than ever to escape from the danger as you began to crawl forward.

The person sneered before striding towards you and pulling your head up to face him by your hair. Your eyes shut tightly and you screamed from the pain. Never in your life have you been treated like this as most people you know actually acted cautiously around you. As if you were a wilting flower that would be blown away even by the faintest breeze.

This person was once one of those people who regarded you as a fragile and precious thing. When you saw their face, your eyes flashed with recognition—followed by horror.

"I told you we'd meet again, Y/N. You did not expect this, did you?" He said in a sickening sweet tone, his fond gaze was as unsettling as ever. Goosebumps creeped up from your spine as you shot the man a disappointed look.

"My family gave you a chance," you started as you gained a little courage from knowing this person, "You had a daughter so we did not push the charges against you, Dr. Sandell."

You were generally a mild one who never bared her teeth to anyone, even if they try to lower you down. But when facing this hateful creature, you could not help but grit your teeth in anger as you stared daggers at him. You had a bad feeling that the "remorse" he had shown your family was all a lie. Perhaps you were all deceived so he could leave unscathed.