VI | Patri

The gentle way that the door was closed was what woke you up. Then footsteps followed, they were almost too quiet. Next, sound of the curtains being drawn was the final straw that erased your sleepiness away.

When you opened your eyes, you found the sunlight hitting you directly on the face. You turned your face away, when the other person blocked the window.

"You're awake." It was a deep voice, commanding yet kind. When your eyes met, you thought it was familiar for a second. Maybe you wondered for too long and your eyes lingered on the man more than you wanted, he actually broke the eye contact first.

He walked towards the bed and you sat up slowly. The first thing you noticed was the different clothes you were wearing.

"We found you unconscious near our headquarters," he said. "I hope you don't mind that my people changed your attire." He was obviously observant, you can give him that.

Although you were surprised that you didn't have the gown on anymore, you also didn't find it odd. It was practically shredded and dirty, even you would have done the same if you found an almost naked girl in your doorstep.

"It's fine . . ." Your voice cracked and your throat felt dry. A series of cough followed, and the man handed you a glass of water. Next thing you know, he was sitting beside you and lightly patting your back.

You looked at him strangely for a second before trying to speak again, "Where am I?"

The masked man retracted his hand and he stood back up. From beginning to end, he was a gentleman. His entire demeanor made you feel at ease.

"You're in the Golden Dawn Headquarters."

"Golden Dawn?" Crap. That sounds like a cult name.

You felt a bit ridiculous for speculating so, but you could not help it. Even without your prior experience after arriving in this world, you have always feared cults. After all, the number of cults that tried to lure patients like you to their faith-is not a joke. Thankfully, your parents were not gullible enough to believe that some group of devout people can heal their daughter.

Perhaps the masked man noticed the visible confusion on your face, as he asked, "Are you a foreigner, Miss?"

You reluctantly nodded, "Sort of, yeah." You started to think if it was safe to let strangers know that you're in an unfamiliar territory. Isn't it a famous advice for solo travellers to avoid looking like a "traveller"?

"Our squad, the Golden Dawn, is part of the other squads of Magic Knights that protect the Clover Kingdom," he explained, to your relief. So they're like the police . . ?

"My name is William Vangeance, and I'm the captain of the Golden Dawn Squad."

You nodded before giving him a smile, somehow it feels alright to relax a little in his presence. "I'm Y/N L/N."

"Miss Y/N, may I ask what happened to you?" His calm demeanor influenced you, to the point that you forgot all the frustrations and anger you felt when you were found by his subordinates. Actually, you had forgotten all about it when you woke up. Perhaps the sleep had calmed your emotions down.

You looked directly at his purple gaze for a few seconds, before deciding that you did not want to share. William read your expression and he nodded in understanding.

"Then, can I ask from which nation are you from?"

"Earth. C/N, Earth," you answered and he was taken aback. William looked like he did not know what you were talking about. I knew it.

He lowered his head in contemplation before admitting that he did not know such a place. "I'm sorry."

You shook your head and flashed him a comforting smile, "It's alright. I don't know how I came here either."

It's true, no matter how odd that sounds.

"You can stay for as long as you'd like, Miss Y/N. We will also try our best to help you come back to your country." He was serious, and it felt like you could blindly trust his words.

But of course, feeling and doing is not the same. You promised to not be as naive in such a foreign place.

"Thank you, Sir William."

• • •

A WEEK LATER

Time has passed and you have gotten closer to some of the Golden Dawn members; most notably, Mimosa. You met her again the same day you woke up, and you found out that she's been monitoring your condition out of concern. At first, you felt suspicious of her actions, but you grew to like her as you two started talking.

On the other hand, there is still no update on whether you can go home or not. William's subordinates have informed you that they were doing their best to search the "Earth" where you came from, but with no progress so far.

Alas, you were not so disappointed about this, as you have had an inkling for a while, that you're in a place far far away from Earth. You have entertained the thoughts of alternate dimensions or the universe, but you don't have much knowledge about them to ascertain your circumstance.

"Y/N!" A voice called you.

Just as a gentle breeze blew past, your eyes opened to see a cheery girl approaching. Deciding that the nap you took was enough, you straightened your back from the tree you were leaning against. Then you found out why your feet felt warm—it was because the shade moved away from where it was when you closed your eyes.

"Mimosa, did anything happen?" You asked, hinting at the urgency in her voice. Perhaps Mimosa herself had noticed that she was a bit too excited, she flashed you a sheepish grin.

She shook her head, "Nothing, I just wanted to say that we will be gone for a while. Something came up, I think."

You nooded your head in understanding, appreciating Mimosa even more, as she did not necessarily need to inform you of what they wanted to do.

"I hope it's nothing serious," you earnestly replied.

Mimosa seemed to agree, but she did not say anything. You got the feeling that she might not be as optimistic, especially as a notorious group of terrorists are acting up out of nowhere lately.

"I need to go, I'll see you later!" She said, trying to act nonchalant and cheerful. You made no effort to break that mask; in fact, you went along with her positive facade.

The terrorist group called themselves the Eye of the Midnight Sun—an extremely familiar name. Although you only overheard this information vaguely, you had a strong feeling that the group that the magic knights are worrying about—is the same group you escaped from a week ago.

However, you kept quiet about what you know. It would be extremely stupid to link yourself to the group; even if you tell the truth that you want nothing but to be on the other side of the world from them. In these trying times, doubt and suspicions foster in a blink of an eye—revealing such knowledge would only put yourself in peril.

Not only from those who fear, but also to those who are feared. One situation is enough to be an eye opener, and you have accepted that exposing yourself to danger would not be beneficial to anyone.

The only thing you could do was pray for the safety of everyone that are fighting this evil.

At least, that is what you said hours ago...