five

"open the gates and seize the day.
don't be afraid and don't delay."

the newsies continued their strike,singing outside mr.pulitzers building early the next morning.

"nothing can break us,no one can make us give our rights away.arise and seize the day."

zoey sang standing in between mush and davey.
mush smiled at her and she grinned back,her eyes wandering to where racetrack was standing.

she looked away before he caught her looking and saw mush wink at her.

embarrassed,she turned away as kids started to play makeshift drums.

the newsies started to dance,ending up in a line in front of the gates.a horse and carriage passed causing everyone to move,but they went back once the scabs came out.

"come on you grafters,cross the line"
race warned them.

"alright,everyone remain calm."
davey told the groups.

it was silent for a moment before zoey shouted,"let's soak em' for crutchie!"

the newsies cheered and ran through the gates,pushing the scabs back.

the scabs ran to a tall wooden door and knocked,revealing older men,with weapons and mean looks on their faces.

"woah!jack it's a trick!"
race yelled.

everyone tried to run out the gates but they were closed by the guards.

jack and zoey walked up the steps,but were stopped by the delanceys.

"hey jackie-boy"
oscar smiled.

jack was pushed back into the group and a man attempted to hit him with a chain.morris grabbed zoeys arms before she could get down.

"don't,you'll just get hurt"he whispered to the girl who was struggling in his arms.

"what do you care?"zoey elbowed him hard before getting down the steps.

she pulled jack back,saving him from getting hit,"you ok?"she muttered,holding onto him so he wouldn't fall back.

he nodded to his sister and squeezed her hand.

"never fear,brooklyn is here!"

"spot?"zoey looked towards the brooklyn leader and smiled,realising he gave in.

the newsies cheered for brooklyn,causing a fight to break out.

zoey tried to get through the crowd,looking for the younger newsies to take care of them.she felt someone grab her and turn her around.

it was a boy who wasn't much older than her,but he wasn't a newsie.before she could do anything,he punched her eye,pushing her to the ground.

zoey grunted as she hit the ground,wincing at the feeling on her eye.

"hey!nobody touches my sister!"jack yelled at the boy,stomping over.he pushed him back and went to hit him,but was beat by spot hitting the boy with a stone from his slingshot.