nine

the newsies woke up early and made their way to the square,where they held up their signs and sang loudly.

"stop the world!"

"no more papes!"

the newsies chanted,their voice echoing the streets of new york.

they moved out of the way for the carriage and moved back in to a line of police officers.zoey frowned,confused.

zoey and spot stood up front and spot broke up two kids fighting.

"don't let that happen again"
zoey heard race tell someone.she felt him stand beside her and hold her hand.

"hey,hey,race,zoey,look,look"
spot caught the pairs attention

"what?"
zoey asked.spot pointed to the scabs.

"tell me i'm seeing things,just tell me i'm seeing things."spot said,pointing to jack up front and centre,dressed as a scab.

"no,you ain't seeing things,that's jack."
race said,squeezing zoeys hand.

zoey didn't say anything as she watched her brother.she had an unreadable expression on her face and she gripped onto races hand.

jack didn't look at her,knowing he'd fall apart if he did.

"jack?"
mush pushed past race,"jack?would ya look at me,it's me mush!"

the police officers stopped mush from getting to him and weasel fixed jacks collar.

"what are you doing come on jack!"

all the newsies started to complain and give out to jack. zoey stood in front of an officer.
she stared at jack and he accidentally caught her eye.

"jack?"
she looked her at brother.the newsies quietened after hearing her voice and looked at jack.

"what?he sold us out!"
spot yelled,after weasel had told them.

zoeys face fell,she felt race squeeze her hand again but she let go,getting closer to jack.the officer stopped her again.

"look at him in his little suit.i'll soak ya,you bum!what about zoey!?"race yelled at jack.

"let me get my hands dirty!"
spot jumped,trying to get through the police.

"come her,you dirty,rotten scabber!"
he yelled.zoey just stared at jack,waiting for him to look at her again.

the newsies pulled spot back shouting at him.

zoey felt davey stand beside her and they looked at each other,then back to jack.

"ah,youse wanna talk to him?"
weasel asked,"come on,sure."

the police let the two through and they walked to jack.

jack looked up at the two and looked away from zoey when she saw the look on her face.

the three stood back from weasel to talk and zoey just watched jacks every move.