six

the next day the newsies were stuffed into tibbys eating whatever they could.

zoey sat beside jack,his arm around her shoulder.they were both eating and laughing with everyone when denton barged through the door.

"hey fellas,and zoey"
denton smiled at the girl.zoey nodded with a smile.

he held up a newspaper with a picture of everyone on it.

"you're in this too!"he told spot as he passed,causing spot to jump up and follow him to zoey and jacks table.

"bigtime"
he placed three newspaper in front of the siblings.

zoey leaned in and smiled at her and race on the page before the boys started crowding around,trying to spot themselves.

denton looked amused as he watched the group.he took a plate of food from the waiter and smiled,strolling away.

"hey,where me picture?!where's me picture??"
spot nagged,sticking his head in between zoey and jack.

"all them words there,they all about us?"
boots asked.zoey looked at the words and squinted,thinking it would make a difference.

"look,jack,it's you.you look like a general."
mush laughed,pointing to jacks face on the pape.

"get your fingers off my face!"jack told him.

"hey where does it say my name?where's my name?"
spot demanded.zoey elbowed him and he grabbed his ribs,glaring at her.

"quit thinking about yourself"
jack told him.

"so what?you get your picture in the papes so what does that get you huh?"

"what are you talking about?huh?"
mush hit skitterys chest.

"hey,shut up.you've been in a bad mood all day!"
jack told him.

"i ain't in a bad mood!"

"you've been glum and dumb.what's the matter with ya?"race asked,pushing skitterys face aside,"you're in the papes,you're famous.you're famous,you get anything you want!"

"and that's what's so great about new york!"

zoey smiled,standing up to stand with race.he smiled when he saw her coming towards him.he noticed her hat was off and he admired her hair.

"a pair of new shoes with matching laces."
mush sang.

"a permanent box at the sheepshead races."
race joined.

"a sparkly crinoline so i can feel pretty"
zoey sang,dreaming of a sparkly skirt on her.

"a porcelain tub with boilin water."

kid blink stood on the table,"a saturday night with cowboys sister!"he winked at zoey.

zoey held onto jack so he wouldn't jump at blink.

"look at me,i'm the king of new york!"
race sang as he stood on the table holding up the pape.

"suddenly,i'm respectable staring right at ya,lousy with stature."he danced on the table.