eight

zoey woke up wrapped in bedsheets.she frowned when racetrack wasn't beside her but then realised she was in jacks bed.she sighed and sat up,her eyes still slightly puffy from the night before.

the newsies got ready not really talking and made their way to the courtroom.

"are any of you presented by counsel?"
the judge asked the crowd of newsies.

the newsies looked at each other,trying to figure out what counsel was.zoey shrugged and held races hand.

"no.good,good.that'll move things along considerably"the judge said.

"your honour,i object"
spot said.

"on what grounds?"

race and zoey stared at spot,waiting for what was about to come out of his mouth.

"on the grounds of brooklyn,your honour."

race hid his face behind zoey and started laughing.zoey and the newsies joined in,laughing at spot.

spot laughed,not taking notice of the fact they were laughing at him.

"i fine each of you $5"the newsies went silent,"or two weeks confinement in the house of refugee"the judge declared.

"whoa whoa,hey,we ain't got five bucks"race told him.

zoey nodded,holding onto races hand tighter.

"we don't even got five cents"zoey added.

"hey,your honour,how bout i roll you for it?double or nothing."

zoey laughed,elbowing race.

"alright move along.move along"

"you're honour,i'll pay the fines.all of them."
denton rushed in.zoey made eye contact with him and smiled gratefully,he nodded.

"hey fellas,zoey,you alright?"
davey followed denton,"where's jack?"he asked,noticing the boy wasn't with the group.

"look,we gotta meet at the restaurant.everybody,we have to talk."denton told them.

"pay the clerk,move it along"
the judge called.

zoey looked up and saw jack walking in,handcuffed with a police officer behind him.

"jack!"
she called.

"hey fellas"
he smiled at the newsies.he looked at zoey and nodded,she nodded back with a sad smile.

"hey cowboy,nice shiner."

zoey grinned slightly and elbowed race,causing him to stick out his tongue while laughing.

as the newsies started walking out,zoey didn't move.spot stood beside her with his eyebrows knitted together slightly.

"jacks fine,cmon."
racetrack told the two.

zoey sighed and looked towards jack.he pointed to his heart and zoey nodded,copying him.she turned and caught up with race and spot,racetrack wrapped an arm around her.