01

"When we get there you do as I say is that understood, boy?" Grandfather growls as we approach the royal pack.

"Yes, sir." I respond knowing I have no choice in the matter.

"You will charm the girl. Do what ever you have to do to insure she bears your mark. When we get home we can train her to be a proper woman and to know her place." He tells me.

"But Grandfather, what if she has a mate?" I ask.

"She is 18 and hasn't found him yet. Work fast and get her to accept you before she does." He commands and I sigh.

No one should lose their chance at their true mate. I never met mine but I felt it when she died. An empty hole in my heart where the longing for my mate once was. I want a mate but not the way my grandfather wants me to get one. What if I don't even like the girl? I don't believe you should make someone change who they are to please you. I want to fall in love and choose to mate an amazing she wolf who doesn't have a mate. I don't want to make someone lose their mate like I have.

"I'm not sure this is a good idea... what if she is not a good match? She may not be fit to be a female of Ice Winter pack." I argue trying to phrase it in a way he will agree with. At least make some wiggle room in his decision for her not liking me or me not liking her. Of course he doesn't care what we want but he does care that all pack females "know their place." It's so old world. I personally like a fiery woman but I don't think one would fare well in the Ice Winter Pack.

"We will fix any... character defects when we get her home. You will soon be the Alpha and part of the job description is producing a strong heir. We all know your True Mate will give you the strongest pups but that's not an option for you... ya know your mate dying may turn out to be a blessing. Now we can infuse royal blood into our Alpha bloodline." I clench my jaw when he says that. I truly wish I could just punch him. "Just do your part boy. Even if she is a horrendous witch of a woman you can always make a pup then lock her away. We only need her for her bloodline."

How am I related to a man who thinks like this? In a few months I will be Alpha and things are gonna change. Once I have that power he won't be able to control me any more. Many wolves in my pack, who share my grandfather's views, will be in for a rude awakening. Time to wake up and come out of the dark ages Ice Winter.

I stay quiet until we get to the pack house. I really don't want to anger grandfather. I'm not interested in one of his punishments. As soon as we step out of the car we are lead straight to the Alpha King's office.

"Hello Ronald... what brings you here?" The King asks as we take our seats across from his desk.

"Well, Alpha King, as you know many wolves have died in recent years... People have been returning to arranging Mates rather than waiting for them. My grandson here will prove himself Alpha in a few months so we are in the process of finding him a Luna." Grandfather says with a cringe worthy smile.

"Good for you... why have you come to me?" The king asks and I try not to laugh. If anyone else would have said that they would be dead.

"You have a daughter that would make a strong Mate for him... we could secure an alliance. Plus you can't hope for better than an Alpha as a mate for her." He says he has a smile but I can tell he is holding back a growl.

"Can the boy speak for himself or only hide behind your coat tails?" The king asks sternly making me gulp. Dude is intimidating.

"Speak up." Grandfather yells.

"I can speak, sir." I respond respectfully. I can see the king give me a small smile. Did he expect me to be rude?

"What's your name pup?" He asks much more kindly than when he spoke to my grandfather.

"Bane Alexander Haught." I answer.

"And what do you think of your grandfather's proposal? Do you want to give up on your mate?" The King asks and I sigh. It still hurts knowing I will never see her.

"My mate is dead... I never met her... I just know... I want someone... I want a mate. A Luna... My grandfather is in charge until I am proven. This is what he thinks is best." I respond hoping to answer the King without enraging my grandfather.

"I asked what you think." The King responds not letting me off of answering.

"I want someone to love me... I don't want a union purely for political ties or for the power of the royals... I want a mate... I'm just not confident that will happen." I tell him the truth knowing he will accept no less.

"You will do what I say boy! What is best for the pack!" Grandfather hisses. There goes avoiding punishment. "Do we have a deal?" He asks the king.

"My daughter is her own person. If she chooses him I will support it if not I won't." He answers and I smile. Thank God he is nothing like my grandfather.

"They are children! She won't find a better match!" Grandfather yells all smiles gone as he isn't getting his way.

"She is grown and very capable of deciding her own future. My one condition is that you, Ronald, will have no contact with my daughter. Bane can make his own proposal to her and she can decide what to do." The King tells him. Wait I can get out from under his thumb while I'm here? I'm liking the Alpha King more and more!

"Matthias take Ronald to his room in the west wing. Atticus show Bane to one in the east wing." The King orders the two guys standing next to him. His sons I'd guess.

"You can't separate us! He is my responsibility!" Grandfather protests. Please separate us, please separate us!

"For what? Three months? Then you step down. He is the Alpha. It's his future you are talking about... and I don't like you. I haven't decided about him but if you stick around him I'm afraid my opinion of you may rub off on him. If you want Bane to even meet my daughter you will do it my way. You're lucky I'm not just throwing you out for thinking I'd ship my Emily off against her will." The calm contempt he has for my grandfather is unnerving.

"Fine!... but I want a decision soon." Grandfather growls as he storms out.

"Thank you sir." I breath out stunned by the events. "When can I meet Emily?... I'd honestly rather discuss this with her. Meaning no offense, sir... it's just like you said it's her future we are talking about." I say. I'd still like to meet her. She might be the one. The king laughs.

"How did you come from the same blood as your grandfather... or your father for that matter? He wasn't much better." He asks me and I sigh.

"I don't know sir... I'm just different I guess." I look to the floor. My grandfather calls my difference, weakness. Hopefully the king doesn't see that.

"Hold your head up. You are better than them from what I've seen. Don't let him control you. Be your own man and you will do fine whether she accepts you or not." He says and I look up. Why can't my family be more like him?

"Thank you sir... so when..." I start to ask when I can see her but he cuts me off talking to the guy with him.

"Take him to the dining hall. Emily will be there shortly." The king says and the guy nods before showing me out.