21

"Bane!" My mate runs into the room.

"I'm okay. Alpha healing remember? Pax is just being a worry wart." I say trying to smile. The worst pain is in my chest from the loss of my pack and the doctors can't heal that.

"Thank you Paxton." She hugs the boy before dang near tackling me. "What happened?" She asks and I sigh.

"Hannah..." I start but can't even try to explain. I shake my head and bury my face in her shoulder.

"Yes Bane, what happened?" I hear the King's voice. What will he think of me? What will my mate think? My sister? I killed my own people!

"Alpha..." I say looking away fighting tears. I can't tell him.

"Mind if I take the boy for a walk Hannah?" He asks my mate who nods before turning her worried eyes to me. I can't tell her what happened. "Come on boy."

We walk down the hall and out into the woods before he speaks.

"We buried Emily two days ago... it was a beautiful ceremony. Everyone told stories about her. She looked so peaceful. If I hadn't known better I'd think she was sleeping... Asher is a mess but holding it together for the pup. My boys aren't much better after losing their sister... not many died in the final battle but it still feels like a massive loss... I can't imagine being an Alpha and losing the majority of my pack. Every loss feels like a piece of you is taken. I'm sorry Bane."  He tells me and I can feel a few tears slip.

"That's not the worst of it." I say and he stops to look at me. "They wanted their deaths to be honorable." I see his eyes go wide.

"Tell me you didn't... yes wolves used to do honor killings if their mate died but that is an ancient tradition. Please say you didn't allow it. You are the Alpha Bane!" He scolds me and I snap.

"What could I do!?! I said no! I didn't want to! They just kept coming! I had to fight! They would have killed me! I couldn't do that to Hannah!... there were so many Alpha!" I sob loudly and the king pulls me to his chest. "They made me... I didn't want to... what could I do?"

"Hush, pup... you are right. I'm sorry I jumped to conclusions. You didn't do anything wrong." He sooths and I jump away.

"I killed them! I'm supposed to be their Alpha! Their protector!" I yell at him.

"Bane, you couldn't have done any differently. They wanted to die. Had you not fought you would be dead and they would have still killed each other. It's not your fault." He tells me.

"But it is! I did it!" I yell and he hugs me again.

"I'm so sorry you had to do that... I can't even imagine the pain but it's not your fault." He says. I don't believe him but I stop fighting.

"Can we still join your pack?... with the pups we still have we wouldn't survive on our own." I request.

"Hummm... you know I was considering bringing back the Delta position for Charlie. He refuses to go home and since he is the next Alpha of Blue Creek...it made since to move his pack here considering he won't to take the position." He says.

"What does that have to do with my pack joining yours?" I ask.

"Charlie turned down the position... I don't like leaving an Alpha without a rank but he said he just wants to be a normal warrior. He plans to give his Alpha power to me... but that means I can offer you a ranking position in the Royal pack." He explains. "Bane, will you be my Delta?"

"Are you sure that's wise?" I ask and he laughs.

"Do you realize that all the ranking positions in this pack are held by Alphas who gave up their power? I swear at this rate we will be the only pack. There are only 3 packs world wide now. Ours is the biggest and Ash could use the help. The Delta tends to help the Gamma and take over when he needs him to. We haven't used Deltas in years but with Emily gone I think we need the extra help." He says.

"I suppose I could do that... I can't imagine what you and Asher are going through... even Beta Malak. He was Emily's uncle. I'd gladly help." I agree. Coming here I knew I'd no longer be an Alpha. I never expected to have a rank at all but I can see how the entire family is grieving. They need someone who wasn't related to Emily to help and I need to help someone after losing my pack.

"I'll set up a ceremony to accept you and your pack mates... you do realize that accepting my blood makes you immortal right?" He adds and I nod. We were taught about the royal line in school... well the werewolf history class they do at the pack house not the human school.

That night we joined the royal pack. I like being Delta. Being here I finally got the family I'd always wanted. I have a father in the king. I have brothers and even a niece and nephews from the King's sons and Asher. Little Willow, Asher's daughter, and Becka are the best of friends... well as best of friends as babies can be. Ollie looks out for them both along with the royal pups.

I'm the only one not joined by blood or mate bond but we are a pack and a pack is family none the less.