07

Cold.

Everything is cold.

I hear... I hear... crying? I'm not crying. Where am I?

"Shhh baby. It's okay we'll be home soon. I know it's cold, pup but we can't leave him." A voice says and I groan trying to get up.

"No! Don't move. I have you restrained. If you move too much that bullet could move and kill you." The voice says and I still.

"Good... good... now I'm almost to my house then it's only gonna get worse for you. Keep listening to me and you may just make it out of this alive." I groan in response as I feel my body jerk around causing more pain.

"Sorry guy, but you aren't light and I got a pup to carry along with dragging you around on the sled. You'll be alright... you know you should have a name... I'm gonna call you Lance. Sound good Lance?" I just groan again. This girl likes to talk.

"Glad you like it. Alright now it's gonna get bumpy while I pull you up the steps but then we'll be inside and we can get you warm... well that and cut you open but let's focus on happy thoughts." I growl. No way is she cutting me open!

"None of that, Lance. What happened to being a good patient? Remember? Keep listening to me and you might live. Growl at me again and I might just drop you in the snow and leave. I have a pup to think of and I won't put him in danger to save you. Do you understand? " She says and I groan trying to say yes I understand.

"Good, we understand each other then... okay Ollie you play in your play pen while I try to save the big bad wolf... alright Lance let's get this party started." She says and I feel the restraints loosen.

"Now you need to stay still while I fix you up. You'll pass out from the pain soon enough but until then try not to move... maybe I should tie your hands so you can't attack me." She rambles and I shake my head finally able to say a no to her tying me up.

"Fine fine, but keep your claws to yourself mister." She scolds.

"Now this will burn but we have to keep the wound clean." She says before pouring something on me that hurts causing me to roar in pain but I grip the sled I am on to stay still.

"Good job Lance I'm impressed. Now for the hard part. I need to open the wound more so I can get a look in there and find the bullet. It's gonna hurt. Stay as still as you can and if you feel like passing out just let go because it's gonna happen sooner or later and the sooner you are out the easier my job becomes, capisce?" She tells me and I nod.

"Here goes nothing." That is not promising

"Ahhhhhhhhh!" I scream trying not to thrash around. I know the motor mouth girl is still talking but I can't make out the words through the pain. Finally the world goes black again.

☆¤☆¤☆¤☆¤☆¤☆¤☆¤☆¤☆

"Please eat Olli."

"Come on baby boy you need to eat."

"Open the tunnel here comes the train. Choo, Choo!"

"Oliver James eat your food!"

"Please?"

I groan as I sit up on the sofa and look over at the frazzled mother that saved my life. She did good. With Alpha healing once that poison was out of me I seem to have healed well. Still sore but I just got shot what do you expect?

"Come on pup I don't have anything else to offer you. You need to eat." She says and I slowly make my way over.

"Want to let me take a crack at it?" I say and she jumps.

"You should be resting." She scolds and I chuckle.

"I heal fast... may I?" I ask reaching for the food. She looks leery but hands me the mushy goop.

"Oliver is it?" I ask him sitting in his mother's place he just blows bubbles in spit and giggles at me. I laugh and wipe his mouth with his bib.

"You look like a strong young man but you can't stay that way without food. Show me your growl pup." I say before lightly growling at him. He laughs and growls back.

"How about a howl? Aroooo!" I give a fake human growl that he mimics. As soon as the sound dies, before he closes his mouth, I slip the spoon of mush in and he eats it before looking at me like I'm a traitor.

"Sorry pup but that was a good howl... can you do it again?" I ask and he glares at me. Smart baby.

"You are right that would be too easy. How about we try some other animals? Can you be a monkey? Ooh ooh ooh." He laughs at the sound and I slip another bite in his mouth. He tried to spit it out but I scoop it off his chin and back in it goes. Score bite two.

"I know it's yucky. I'll teach mommy to make you some good stuff but for now you got to eat this. Can you be a lion Rawwwwr!" As soon as he tries to roar the third bite is down. This goes on until the little jar is empty.

"How did you do that? That boy has never finished a jar. I've had to get him special formula because he won't eat real food." The woman asks and I shrug.

"My sister is ten years younger and I was a mama's boy. I helped her out a lot... I can teach you how to make some food that tastes way better than that garbage. Wolf pups don't eat like human babies. He needs more protein. That may help him stomach it better." I explain and she nods

"I'd appreciate it... I don't know much about babies except what I've learned first hand since having Ollie. We've been on our own for about a month and he's only two months old. All the books said to wait until he was 4 months for solid food but when I had a human doctor check him out they thought he was older and said he needed more than formula. I don't know what to think any more." She says.

"So you can cut out a bullet but you don't know what to feed a pup?" I chuckle and she growls. "Sorry, Sorry! I know wolf pups eat differently than humans. It's not your fault."

"I didn't finish my training to become a pack doctor. We were focusing on treating wounded warriors not infant care considering someone is hunting wolves." She defends.

"All good mama wolf I'm glad you knew what to do for me, thank you... so what about his father?" I ask.

"Gabriel, my mate... he died when his pack was attacked. I left to come home that night. The next day the entire pack was destroyed." She tells me.

"So what brings you up here?" No one comes this far north without a reason.

"I was trying to come home but my family shunned me. They never liked Gabe and considered me a traitor for accepting him as my mate." She explains.

"So where are we exactly?" I ask a final question.

"On the boarder of my birth pack. Close enough that we don't go fully rogue but far enough they don't kill us." She answers prompting one more question I already know the answer to.

"What pack?" I ask.

"Ice Winters."