Part 13 - Some Endings Are Better Than Others

Procrastination is probably the worst trait about me since I told you I was going to update like 2 weeks ago. I'm sorry. I've been really busy lately with the trip last week. It was fun though.This was supposed to be the last chapter but I felt that the ending to this chapter didn't seem complete so I'll add another one as an epilogue. :)

"Ex-executed? What are you talking about? This is not a time to be joking around," said Kid.

Everyone had their heads faced towards the ground. Maka was still in the corner crying and Soul was still comforting her.Liz and Patty were sitting on the corners of Kid's bed trying to hold him down. And BlackStar and Tsubaki were holding each other's shaking hands. Kid thought that it was some sick joke that they were playing, but the looks on their faces told him otherwise.

"This is a joke right? There's no way that my father would approve of this."

"Actually..." started Soul, who was finally able to calm Maka down, " you're old man...he's the one that called for the execution."

The only thing that was keeping Kid from jumping out of the bed and breaking Crona out of jail, at this point, was the strength of Liz and Patty. He could have easily broken the restraints around his ankles

"Why!!!! Take these things off of me immediately! Liz! Patty! Get off of me! Let me go!!!"

Kid was strong but the combined strength of Liz and Patty was stronger.

"We're sorry Kid," said Patty who couldn't bear to see her meister in this state.

"But this is for your own good," said Liz.

After Kid had finally calmed down, Soule told him the rest of the details.

He took a deep breath. "The execution will be held at dawn. Crona was put on trial and was found guilty for the collection of human souls. Each of us were given permission to write a letter to Crona for her to read.

"Tch." went Kid.

All of this and all I get to do is write a stupid letter.

"However...you and Maka will be escorted by Stein and Ms.Marie to speak to Crona in person."

Kid sighed.

At least I'll be able to see her one last time.

__________________________________________________________________

Later that evening, Maka met Kid, who was still in his restraints, in his room.

"Any idea what you're gonna say to her?" asked Maka.

"No.You?"

"No."

Stein and Ms.Marie arrived at Kid's room. Stein unlocked the restraints around Kid's ankles and helped him out of his bed. Kid grabbed his I.V. and used it to keep his balance. They were off.

Stein and Ms.Marie led Kid and Maka down into the dungeons. As they walked towards Crona's cell, Kid and Maka realized that this wasn't their first time down this, what seemed like an unfamiliar pathway.

How dare they!!! Keeping Crona in the same room that she spent some of the most wonderful times of her life in. Are they trying to mock her?

As they reached the front of Crona's room, they noticed something different about the door. Instead of the usual wooden door that every room in the dungeons had, this room in particular had it's doors replaced with a concrete wall.

__________________________________________________________________
(A/N : This part of the story is Kid's thoughts about the conversation.)

Neither Maka nor myself, said much to Crona when we saw her.

Doesn't matter anyways.

We told her everything we needed to tell her and so much more.

Maka gave her the letters and she said she would read them before she left. We finally shared the kiss that we couldn't share on out wedding day.

Tomorrow morning is the morning of Crona's execution. Death City will be fast asleep except for those few that will attend the execution.

I don't want to go watch my wife die. I feel the bond between our souls becoming stronger and stronger everyday, so I don't want her to be alone even then. Not even in her final moments.

__________________________________________________________________

The morning of the execution day, Crona was led out of her cell and into the Death Room.

When all of the preparations were complete, Maka, Soul, Tsubaki, BlackStar, Liz, Patty, and Kid were led to the Death Room.

"You're welcome to come in if you want," said the guard that was ordered to stand in front of the room just in case anyone attempted to make a last ditch effort to save Crona.

No one spoke.

"As if. I'd rather stay out here anyways," responded BlackStar as he sat down on the floor and leaned his back against the door.

"Very well then."

The rest of the group sat down in a row next to Black Star, with Maka closest to the door.

All they could do now is wait.

__________________________________________________________________

Then tension outside the Death Room increased. Everyone was shaking. They anxiously awaited the moment that the doors would open telling them that Crona was officially dead.

Maka checked for Crona's soul every now and then waiting for the moment that it faded away, never to be felt again.

It sure is taking a long time. What could be taking them so... long...

That was it. It was gone. The moment she couldn't feel the soul that she had memorized like the back of her hand, she burst into tears.

"Maka. What's wrong?" asked Soul.

"She...she...she's gone!"

Soul pulled Maka close and held her in his arms while crying silent tears.

Everyone at this point was crying. BlackStar, Liz, Patty, Soul, Maka, Tsubaki. Everyone cried over the loss of a wonderful person and a great friend.

Everyone except Kid.

"Kid? Are you okay? You're not saying anything." asked Liz, who was the sitting right next to him. "K-Kid? Hey Kid. Wake up! Please wake up!"

"What's going on? Why isn't Kid moving? Someone! Call Stein!" joined Patty who also noticed that her meister wasn't moving.

"His soul..it's gone."