Chapter 31, Making Friends- Again?!

"All I'm saying is that motion sickness is a much more common problem than people let on!" blonde boy says.

I laugh, "Yeah right, good excuse, if only we would buy it."

Ruby laughs with me, "Look, I'm sorry! Vomit Boy was the first thing that came to mind."

"Oh, yeah? What if I called you Crater Face?" he replies.

"AYYOO!" I comment before wheezing, "CLAPPED RIGHT BACK!" making Ruby get all embarrassed.

"Hey, that explosion was an accident!"

Blonde gentleman steps in again. "Well, the name's Jaune Arc! Short, sweet, rolls off the tongue - ladies love it!"

"Do they?" Kota says, giving a laugh.

Jaune replies. "They will! Well, I-I hope they will. My mom always says that... Never mind."

Everyone gives a giggle before silence.

"So... I got this thing!" Ruby suddenly pulls out a foldable scythe.

I stumble back. Jaune speaks for everyone else.

"Whoa! Is that a scythe?"

"It's also a customizable high-impact sniper rifle!"

"A-wha...?"

Ruby pulled back the charging handle. "It's also a gun."

Jaune looks amazed like the rest of us. "Oh. That's cool!"

"So what've you got?" she asks.

"Oh! I, uh..." Jaune would reach for a sword. "I got this sword!"

Ruby reacted with a "Ooooohh!" before letting him continue.

"Yeah, and I've got a shield, too!" He took the scabbard and raised his arm, making the shield extend outwards.

Ruby poked the shield, asking what it does.

Jaune retracted the shield and sheathed his sword. "The shield gets smaller, so when I get tired of carrying it, I can just... put it away..."

Vhiro joins in. "But wouldn't it weigh the same?"

"Yeah, it does..." Jaune replies dejectedly.

Ruby giggles. "Well, I'm kind of a dork when it comes to weapons, sooo... I guess I did go a little overboard when designing it."

I gasp. "Wait - you made that?!"

"Of course! All students at Signal forge their own weapons! Didn't you make yours?"

Looking down at my belt, I'd make an awkward sigh.

"Uhhh, no?"

Ruby gets closer, looking at my belt.

"Heeyyy... A little distance?"

"What's that?" She asks again, this time, trying to touch it while I back off more and more.

"MOVE IT!" I shout, trying to not sound rude.

Kota and Vhiro come to my rescue by putting distance between Ruby and I.

"So why'd you help me out back there? In the courtyard?" Ruby asked Jaune. He began walking alongside her. 

"Eh, why not? My mom always says, 'Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet."

Vhiro looks around. "Hmm, where are we going?"

The blond boy seems confused. "Oh, I don't know! I was following you guys."

"Y-You think there might be a directory? Maybe a food court? Some sort of recognizable landmark? Is, uh... Is that a 'no'?"

Vhiro shakes his head. "That's a 'no'."