Sect Leader Jiang

WARNING: this story contains descriptions of blood, violence, illness, mentions of suicidal thoughts (very brief), surgical procedures, death, and a character with ASPD (please note that my writing is not an accurate representation of everyone diagnosed with ASPD, and feel free to educate me if needed). Warnings will be mentioned if needed at the beginning of each chapter. Happy reading!!

xxx

Jiang Cheng could not see. The flutter of his gentle eyelids that thrummed constantly was the only reminder he had eyes at all. Thump. Thump. Thump. The ever returning rhythm pestered him beyond belief, setting the background for a rush of cold panic.

Why could he not see? The warmth blooming across his back indicated sunlight, and his eyes were open. Were they? The pounding of his heart matched the pounding of his eyelids.

"Sect Leader?" The voice came from behind him, youthful and bright, and it startled him. It must be one of the disciples… he had just left them to train; the sweat on his brow from the humid Yunmeng heat still had yet to dry.

Embarrassed at his panic and at the current predicament, he snapped, "What?"

Hesitation. "Are… are you alright, Sect Leader?"
Jiang Cheng turned adamantly away from the voice and bit out, "I'm fine. Aren't you supposed to be training?"

He assumed the disciple bowed. "Yes! My apologies, Sect Leader!"

One the light footsteps faded away, Jiang Cheng shoved his hand into the wall for support. He supposed another effect of this unknown ailment was dizziness, and it swam in his head now.

Now came the question: what to do?

It's no use panicking, he thought to himself, even as his breathing picked up and sweat clung to his palms. Zidian was sparking at his distress, something she did often in response to his stronger emotions.

I need to find Luó Bolin.

Jiang Cheng heard the pattering feet of a maid to his right, and relief coursed through his veins.
"You!" He barked, almost certain she flinched at the suddenness and volume of the word. "Get Head Disciple Luó Bolin here now."

"Yes, Sect Leader!"

And so, he waited, trying not to let his vivid anxiety imagine all the ways someone could kill him while he was this vulnerable. Jiang Cheng finally couldn't take it anymore, so he closed his eyes. If he did so, he could pretend that he was smelling Lotus Pier's fresh summer air or contemplating an intricate night hunt instead of trying not to choke on his own air.

Luó Bolin's steady gait rang in the open hallway, echoing across the thick hardwood. His boots, which were normally made of soft felt, must be new with all the noise they were making. It was not an observation Jiang Cheng would make on any other day.

"Sect Leader Jiang." His voice was low and rumbling, a direct result of his large stature. "You called for me?"

"Yes… I- I need you to…" Jiang Cheng hated this. He didn't want to lean on people or burden them with his troubles, but it was either that or pass out on the floor for the entire sect to see. "I'm feeling rather dizzy. Would you… help me to my room?"

"How serious is it, Sect Leader Jiang? Shall I call the-"
"No! No. Don't call anyone. Just get your ass over here and give me an arm."

Luó Bolin obliged and guided him through the halls, dismissing anyone before they came too close.

"Sect Leader-"
"I don't want to hear it," Jiang Cheng held up his other hand. "I'm fine."

His head disciple had always been a gentle giant; he was quiet and kind to others, all while maintaining a strong and wise fighting style. Luó Bolin was one that trained hard and improved quickly, as well as being the eldest amongst the other disciples. He'd been at Lotus Pier since it's reconstruction, and Jiang Cheng considered him a friend, if not, a brother.