Promises

A/N: here's a new chapter, I hope you like it!

Jin Ling watched his uncle in awe. Jiang Cheng's graceful yet direct sword technique was not hindered in the slightest by his eyesight. He leapt out of the way when needed, robes flapping against his legs. Honestly, it had been awhile since Jin Ling watched his uncle's fight someone else without Zidian, but it was no less intimidating.

This was a man who trained his entire life, perfecting each slight movement and detail, making for a precise attack. It was beautiful.

A disciple next to him had her mouth hanging open. "How is he..." She was referring to his eyes. "How can he fight that well?"

Another next to her responded, "Because he's Sect Leader Jiang of Yunmeng. How could he not be the best?"

Jin Ling felt his heart swell with pride. His uncle was the best.

They could only watch as the two started to fight faster and more aggressively. Even then, Jiang Cheng's moves never slowed, and his form never broke. It seemed there was hardly time for him to breathe.

"You've gotten worse," the demonic cultivator chuckled as they separated for a moment. "I should've fought you at your full power before I cursed you."

The disciple gasped, not aware that this was how their Sect Leader lost his vision. "Curse?"

The other one scowled. "How dare he."

A third, "That wasn't his full power?"

It was true. The younger disciples couldn't tell, but Jiang Cheng was forced to constrain his moves into simpler ones to continue fighting like that. Even now, he was sweating and breathing heavily.

Jiang Cheng compelled his arm not to shake. The unfortunate truth was that he couldn't win, not now. This damned cursed object was sucking the energy out of his body more every day, to the point where he couldn't even use his most powerful spiritual weapon.

But he wasn't alone. Though Lan Xichen just left seclusion, he could still be considered one of the strongest cultivators in the world. And so was his brother. Wei Wuxian wasn't weak, he never had been, and Jin Ling could spar with him for an hour on a good day. Not to mention Luó Bolin and the other disciples, who he had trained vigorously himself.

"Well now, I seem to be outnumbered," the demonic cultivator rasped. His tone was almost whiney, indicative of mocking. "I guess I'll just have to make this easier for myself, won't I?"

By the time everyone felt the demonic energy move, it was too late. Jiang Cheng heard a grunt from behind him and he swiveled, keeping Sandu stubbornly raised. Someone yelped. Jin Ling's voice.

Jiang Cheng's stomach dropped into his feet. "A-Ling?"

The cultivator spoke, "Since you can't see, let me describe this to you. My hand is wrapped around your precious nephew's throat. I'll give you 10 seconds to drop your swords. 10, 9, 8…"

"Do it!" Jiang Cheng barked, releasing his own weapon. It landed with a thud on the soft forest floor.