Just Friends

Friends. 

Why did that word have to haunt him so deeply? Following him around closer than his own shadow. Jokes made between friends about the number of times he had been rejected or had dates deflected into group hang outs. 

It was probably his own fault, constantly unable to remain serious the moment things became uncomfortable. He was practically assigning himself the role of character development in other people's lives. 

Nothing is more deceptive than befriending someone knowing that you're hoping it'll turn into something more, never satisfied with the surface level connections of a friendship. He didn't want to use Rori like that- he wouldn't use her like that. 

"Okay, but only if you go first." Damn it. Damn it. Damn it. 

Why did she have to say friends? Did she not see him as someone who could be anything more? Did she see him the same way everyone else in his life did? 

Wilbur pulled up to the small shop before she could begin. It was a pub of sorts, a place he went to often with his bandmates after local shows. It was hidden away enough to be safe from the nearby college kids, but aesthetic enough to keep out the rowdy locals. Plus, they served some great food, and it sounded like she needed a hot meal. 

"The place you know is a bar?" Rori's scoffed, looking back to him with a smile. 

Her damn smile. Plump coral lips separated by a sea of ivory white teeth that were impossibly straight. Was it the stereotypical American 'good teeth' genetics or was she also bullied through middle school for having braces? 

"A pub. But, yes." Wilbur answered, looking back up to her eyes. With the added light from the nearby stores he could see her once sharp wing from that morning had faded around the outer corner of her eyes. Small smudges of nearly translucent black makeup trailed below her eyes. Had she been crying? 

"Yeah, yeah. You and Niki can try all you want, I refuse to use your weird lingo." Rori laughed, her faced turned away, as she stepped out of the car. Wilbur smiled as he saw his jacket falling to the back of her knees when she stood up. 

Wilbur stepped ahead, locking his car over his shoulder before opening the door for Rori. She was standing in the middle of the sidewalk, her profile illuminated by the various pink signs glowing through the store front. 

Soft music from inside poured onto the sidewalk, along with the muffled conversations of the few patrons seated along the bar. 

Rori looked over to him with a confused smile before heading through the door, looking back to the window one final time before stepping inside. Wilbur tried to lean back to see what had caught her attention before following, unable to see anything suspect. 

"Wil! How the hell you been mate?" The bartender yelled across the primarily empty room, looking between him and Rori with a raised eyebrow. 

Wilbur turned to Rori, pointing at a booth in the corner of the room. He was hoping it would be the quietest seat in the place. She looked up to him with a head nod before walking off. 

"Hey Rob. Things are good. How's your wife?" Wilbur asked while leaning against the bar, constantly looking his shoulder to Rori. He smiled as he watched her legs swing from the seat, her toes barely grazing the floor. She was still staring at the front window. 

Wilbur looked over to see the bartender staring at him with an amused smile before nodding in Rori's direction. 

"You're not one to bring groupies around." Rob said with a laugh. Wilbur rolled his eyes, looking back to their table. She was gone.