Body Shot

Irene Bae didn't particularly hate house parties, but she didn't really like them either. When she was at one, it was mostly whatever. Like many decisions in her life, she thought of attending parties as a social transaction, weighing the opportunity cost of each party before making a decision of attending or not. If she went to a particular party, it would simply mean less time doing something productive like studying or reviewing the sorority's budget. But she also knew that as a sorority president, she was obliged to show her face at a couple of parties each semester.

Picking at the label of her Dirty Bastard, she wondered why she agreed to come to this party at all. It wasn't one of the "important" parties that she felt she had to make an appearance at. And she totally had a ton more to do for her case study report due on Monday.

She peeled a corner of the label from her beer bottle, but before it could even be lifted halfway, the metallic paper tore off. Crumpling the tiny wad of paper in her hand, she crushed the nagging feeling that she knew why she was here in this party.

At least it wasn't a frat party. It was a house party thrown by Seulgi, the sister who decided she wasn't going to live at their sorority house anymore a couple of weeks before fall semester started.

She certainly was not here because Lisa spent two hours picking out her outfit, doing her hair, and putting on her make up.

It wasn't like she felt a pang deep in her chest when she imagined herself alone in their room working on her report while Lisa went to her first party since transferring here. That would be ridiculous. She didn't care if her roommate was out partying and getting drunk and meeting new people or whatever.

No, she was here because this was a party thrown by one of her sorority sisters, and it would have looked bad if she didn't come visit at her new house.

"Yeah! Booya, bitches!" a female voice yelled over the din of the party. Irene heard Lisa's loud groan in response.

Irene turned her head towards the sound. There was a crush of bodies that obscured her vision of the beer pong table, but it looked like Lisa and Jisoo had lost their game.

She had been sitting in this gross couch for the last 25 minutes. Irene stood up and walked towards the beer pong table.

Standing on the opposite end of the beer pong table from Lisa and Jisoo were the apparent winners of the game, Yeji and one of the female housemates. The ombre wash of her brunette hair caught Irene's eye.

Irene noted that the aforementioned girl was very pretty, her feline features complementing her shoulder-length platinum brunette hair that gradually turned into light brunette from the mid-shaft down to the tips. Objectively, the girl was stunning, but Irene didn't like her dangerous prowl as she approached her two sorority sisters.

"All right ladies, time to pay up," drawled the brunette-haired girl as she sauntered over to the other side of the table. "Like we agreed beforehand, I'm the one who'll collect on the bet."

Jisoo placed a hand on the table and leaned on it. Rolling her eyes, she said, "Yes, Jennie, we remember the terms."

Whoever this Jennie was, she was trouble, Irene decided. She wondered what they had bet on. And why did Jisoo and Lisa agree to play against Yeji and this Jennie? They obviously looked like they spent every weekend playing beer pong. Irene felt her irritation spike. Just like Lisa to get hustled.

"Good," Jennie said with a pleased smile. "Okay," she pointed to Lisa then Jisoo. "So which one of you...?"

Lisa and Jisoo looked at each other. The slightest look of consternation flashed across Jisoo's face, and Lisa, being a good friend, decided to take the fall. She didn't mind. She was pretty tipsy at this point. She drank more of the cups from the game of beer pong than Jisoo.