Ready?

"You ready?" Irene asked Lisa after they both placed their bags in the trunk of the Audi.

"I'm so ready for this road trip." Lisa held up a bag and her iPhone. "I've got snacks. I've got tunes."

Irene rolled her eyes but the corners of her mouth turned up into a smile. "It's just a four-hour drive to Chicago. It's hardly a road trip."

"It is so a road trip!" Lisa insisted. "Anything longer than two hours counts as a road trip."

"Fine, fine." Irene walked over to the driver's side and opened the door. She tilted her head towards the other side of the car. "Get in the car so we can start this road trip then. Traffic is going to be terrible, especially the closer we get to the city."

A giddy feeling tickled Lisa's stomach as she climbed into the passenger's seat. They were going on a road trip! It was just going to be the two of them in the car for four hours. They were going to talk about everything and sing along to the music she picked out. Lisa couldn't help but smile dreamily to herself. Years from now, they'll look back at this special memory of their first trip together.

Oh wow, I got it bad.

She turned her head to look out the passenger side window at the landscape of rural Midwest rolling past. Endlessly flat, corn farmland as far as the eye could see. So different from the golden fields of California. She never thought she would say this when she left Orange County, but the Midwest was definitely growing on her.

I'm in love with Irene.

The realization made her heart race, but it didn't scare her. Maybe it was because she had already spent several months in quiet turmoil over her previously antagonistic relationship with Irene. She recalled the constant fighting between them, the sexual tension that never went away, and the drunken sex that Irene denied the morning after. A feedback loop of antagonism, denial, and hate sex.

It was like she had already exhausted the negative feelings she had for Irene, and now she was just ready to accept the underlying truth.

I am in love with Joohyun Irene Bae.

And obviously Irene felt something for her too.

It's got to be mutual, right? I'm not the only one who caught feelings. Irene was taking her home to meet her family for Thanksgiving, for goodness sake. You don't do that unless you're serious about a person. Sure, Irene probably won't introduce her to her family as her girlfriend, because hello, they haven't talked about that yet.

But still. This trip was a big deal. Irene was letting her into her world. They were taking a major step forward. It wouldn't be long until they would be official.

Butterflies took flight in her stomach. Irene would be my girlfriend.

What should she caption the Instagram post for when they become girlfriends?

"Can we stop listening to this playlist? This is the fifth Ariana Grande song," Irene complained, pulling her out of her reverie.

"Okay, okay. Just because you're the one driving us hundreds of miles." Lisa reached for her phone and chose a different playlist on Spotify. Don't worry, after you become my girlfriend I'll get you to appreciate the greatness that is Ari. Lisa smirked at her genius plans. Irene as her girlfriend was going to be so awesome. She could not wait.

They bickered a little bit more about the music but eventually Irene let Lisa sing along to her Disney playlist, even joining in to the few songs that she knew.