Chapter 3 - Thomas to the Rescue

The next day in the afternoon when it was clearly sunny outside due to the sunlight pouring through the windows, Mandy was assigned to dust all the mantles, tables, vases, and so forth, before the family came down for lunch. She had her feather duster with her, and was dusting the fireplace mantle in the main sitting room near the entry way. Some dust got into her nose and she sneezed.

"God bless you," she heard a mature male voice say behind her. She whirled around to find—she gasped and dropped her duster—Lord Grantham! "My apologies for startling you," he said.

"Oh, no, it's okay, Lord Grantham," she said and picked up her duster from the floor.

"Ah, you're the new American maid, am I right?"

"Yes, I am. Thank you so much for allowing me to work here."

He waved a hand. "Oh, I was delighted to. We can always use some extras hands in this massive house. How are you liking Downton?"

"It's... really beautiful. In an ancient kind of way."

He looked around. "Yes, this place has been around for a few centuries."

"So I've heard." She had watched a documentary on the castle before, only its actual name was Highclere Castle.

"I see. Well, I mustn't keep you from doing your work." He gave her friendly, almost fatherly smile. She felt her tense muscles ease.

"It's okay. It was a pleasure to meet you."

He bowed a little, a twinkle in his eye. "The same."

He was about to turn and leave when they both heard, "Lord Grantham," in a booming male voice. He turned and up came a tall young man with brown hair and a square jaw. Mandy had to hold her breath for a moment. This guy's way hot! Who is he? Mandy never saw him in the show. Maybe someone that visited off-camera?

"My good chap, Mr. Northerland," Lord Grantham said and shook the man's hand. "I apologize. I wasn't out to meet you in the front."

"Not to worry. I came earlier than expected."

The man's gaze shifted to Mandy, and he stared for a moment, looking her up and down. A smile grazed his lips and his left brow twerked in a suggestive way. Mandy quickly looked away and went on with her work.

That hunk just checked her out! What was it with these higher-class men and maids? The guy was probably another suitor for Mary who Edith would most likely try to steal.

Mandy finished dusting that room and moved on. As she dusted a small table against the wall with a vase full of white flowers in it, she bumped into someone. She turned and found Thomas there. "Oh, I'm sorry," she said as his tall form loomed over her.

"Watch where you're goin', will ya?"

He walked away and her nose twitched. She had gotten a bit used to his snotty character, but it still bugged her that she didn't know the root of his hatred.

The hours passed, and Mandy stayed up on the main floor most of the time, dusting, putting things away and whatnot. This was the longest she had been on the main floor. She was able to see the whole family walk from the dining room to the drawing room as she carried a load of sheets, folded, to be put away. As she did so, she accidentally caught the eye of Mr. Northerland. He winked at her!

"This is way too weird," she muttered as she found the cupboards to put the sheets in downstairs. "Guys never give me this kind of attention at home. This world is definitely not real..."

She headed back to get some silver, but only a couple pieces, to be brought out of the dining room and back downstairs for polishing. Mr. Carson had her do so because she seemed to be a better polisher than Thomas and William—Thomas naturally wasn't happy when he found that out. On her way, though, she saw someone in the corner of her eye. She didn't think anything of it until she heard behind her, "Miss."