Chapter 11 - Goodbye Downton, Hello Crawley House

The next morning around ten, Mandy stood near Tom Branson's car, which was parked in front of the house. She had said goodbye to the servants inside, and she stood next to the car door, staring up at the grand house. What would she do now? Mrs. Hughes gave her a good reference, so hopefully she would be able to find another maid job. If not, she would have nothing to do but beat herself up for letting Matthew buy her that pin. At least Thomas was okay.

"Are you going to miss Downton?"

She turned her head to face Tom Branson, who sat at the wheel, and had a hat on. She nodded. "Yeah, I'm going to miss it more than anyone can think. I made very dear friends here, and it hurts to leave them. I just hope I'll be able to find another job."

His Irish accent came out strong. "There are a lot of places to work in the village, close enough to the pub you'll be stayin' at."

"Yeah, maybe I'll just work at that pub. It's not the best job in the world, but it's something."

He chuckled. "Hey, look at me. I'm here drivin' the motor for the Crawley family. Not exactly the highest quality job out there."

Yeah, but you do it because you have a thing for Sybil. "You enjoy it, though. I don't think I'll be able to find another job that I'll like as much as my job here... and I lost it because of a stupid hairpin."

"You never know if that hairpin was a good luck charm for you. Maybe you'll find an even better job suitable to your skills, whatever those skills may be."

She shrugged. "Maybe. I doubt it, though. Luck hasn't been on my side lately."

"You're part Irish, correct? Well, we Irish believe in luck. I believe luck is on your side."

She let a smile escape, and eyed Tom's wide smile. She had always liked Tom in the show and believed him to be a put-together man. A political, county-loving man, but still a good man. "Thank you, Tom. I'll try and believe that."

"Mandy."

She turned and saw William approach her. "William."

"We'll sure miss you," he said, standing a good head taller than her, plus some. His eyes were sad. "I wish you didn't have to leave."

"I wish I didn't have to leave, either. Gosh, that hairpin fiasco went way out of hand. You don't think I'm a terrible person, do you? Now that you know exactly what happened?"

He gave her an incredulous look "What? No. I told you I would never think such things about you. I admit that Mr. Crawley shouldn't have bought you the pin, but what's done is done. Now, I hope you'll find another decent job."

"I'm sure I will, but no job will compare to how amazing this one was. I'll miss you, and everyone." She leaned in and whispered, "Try talking to Daisy, huh? Promise me."

The guy's cheeks flushed pink. "Daisy?"

"Yes. It's obvious that you like her. As a parting gift to me, try asking her to stroll with you down to the village or something. Take her to the pub for dinner."

The pink in his cheeks deepened. "Um... I'll try. I don't think she'll agree, though."

"You never know unless you try."

Thomas came up to her and opened the motor door for her. William smirked at Mandy and gave her a sly look, then walked away. She stared after him. Did he know about her and Thomas?

"Well, the best of luck to you, Mandy."

"Thank you, Thomas."

Their gaze lingered longer than usual. "Come visit again."