Chapter 18 - Realization

Dear My New Friends,

If you are reading this letter, that means that I suddenly vanished, and you are wondering where on Earth I went. Well, this letter will explain just were I went. It will explain some facts about myself that I have kept secret from all of you. I promise, my leaving was out of my control, just as arriving here and injecting myself into all of your lives was not my doing. The truth of it is, when I arrived, I told you that I had traveled across the whole of the United Stated and the Atlantic Ocean, but I was lying. While I am from Washington state in the United States, I did not travel. I appeared at Downton Abbey, and I am still not sure how I did so. The shocking truth is... I am from a different time. I am from the year 2017, almost 100 years from now. Also, this world is a fictional one to me, one of characters who are made up, like in a novel. I know this sounds crazy, but...

Mandy took the paper out of the typewriter, crumpled it, and threw it in the waste basket near her desk with other attempts at writing the letter that she would leave near her bedside every night just in case she left during the night. With what had happening in the past while, people needed to know who she really was and where she was really from. She jut couldn't get the wording right!

"I can't just say it straight out like that," Mandy mumbled. "I need to set the scene a bit more. Gosh... this is why I failed English class..."

Maybe she needed to be straight forward, though. That would be the best. No matter what, people would think that she was crazy. It just had to be said, along with apologies for all the hurt she caused.

She sighed in frustration. "How am I going to write this?!"

"Write what?" someone asked, and Mandy popped her head up to see Mrs. Crawley standing in the doorway to the office, wearing a white blouse and gray skirt.

"Um," Mandy began, thinking rapidly of an excuse. "I just was wondering how to start this letter I wanted to write to Anna. You know, one of the maids at Downton."

Mrs. Crawley sat down in the wooden chair in front of Mandy's desk. "Are you two close?"

Mandy smiled. "Yes, we became fast friends at Downton. I tell her everything and she gives me advice, whether it's something I want to hear or not."

"So she's honest?"

"Yes, brutally honest. But she's really nice about it. I know it's for my own good." And the good of other people who are affected by my actions.

"I see. We all need friends like that. I wish Cousin Violet and I could have the same relationship."

Mandy's heart went out to her. She knew their current relationship had bumps, and knew how close they become in the later seasons, kind of like sisters. "I think you'll eventually have that relationship, being close friends and inseparable."

"I really hope so. We all need that type of friend that is honest with us, and is there for us. Now, back to the reason I came. I already know your answer, but I thought I would ask anyway."

Mandy sat up straight in her seat, interested. "Answer to what?"

"Well—I spoke with Lady Grantham earlier today when I went to visit Downton, and she wanted to know if you would like to come over for luncheon tomorrow, just as an apology for the dinner two nights ago. She feels terribly because you were mistreated in such a way, especially by Cousin Violet and Lady Mary."

Mandy pursed her lips together, thinking about what Mary said, what happened with Matthew in the kitchen that night, and Thomas's proposal that she did not accept. Would she be able to face all that again? Thomas would be there, and maybe Matthew. She hadn't even seen Matthew since the kitchen kiss and proposal.