3. resolve (part 1)

a/n: sorry for the long wait! Happy reading :) & don't forget to vote and comment your thoughts!

730 days after Queen Liliana's conquest of the Gera Kingdom

§

Alethia flipped her hood over her head and jutted out her chin. "No."

"What do you mean, no?" Aydin questioned with narrowed eyes. He twirled a finger by his temple. "You're out of your batty little mind, woman. Do you know that?"

"I said, no," Alethia repeated, her voice sharpening with discontent.

"By the goddess's lovely bones, is it too much to ask for you to be reasonable," Aydin huffed out, throwing his arms up and fluttering his blue cloak in the process. Aydin looked over at Ren, standing with his arms crossed and his gaze focused on the dunes of sand around them. "Can you tell your ice princess she's insane?"

"I already did, you buffoon," Ren retorted. His scowl deepened as he turned a razor-sharp glare on Aydin. "Now, would you shut up?"

"I second that," Sephirah said. Alethia glanced over at the Nixian princess next to her, whose face was a portrait of annoyance directed at Aydin.

Two years later, and they were still in some sort of dispute. Alethia couldn't understand why they were so upset with each other. When she noticed the pointed glares and tension-coated silence, she suggested they conduct a match, and whoever suffered the most blows or died would be the victor of the entire thing.

They had stared at her like she was crazy.

But this time, she was right.

Alethia began to walk toward the elder's tent, determined steps dispersing flutters of sand grains that flew to invade her boots and irritate the bottom of her feet.

"Come on." Aydin caught up to her, peering down with wide hazel eyes. "You must know, it's a stupid idea."

Alethia stopped, a hand gripping the hilt of her onyx sword as her eyes glinted with danger. "Stop interfering or lose your tongue."

"You don't scare me." Aydin crossed his arms. "If you would just calm down, you'd realize you're on a suicide mission, and we can all cease pretending to entertain it."

Her grip on her sword tightened. The anger boiling in her stomach cooled to a simmer as she studied Aydin.

She weighed the option as they continued to glare at one another.

"I hate to admit it, but Aydin is right," Sephirah said, catching both of their attention. Alethia's eyes darkened at the words. Sephirah smiled in return. "You know he's right. So why don't we just drop the whole thing and head over to the Nix Kingdom."

Ren grunted his agreement but refused to look at Alethia.

Rage fumed in her stomach as she considered her other weakness. Another one to stack on top of the heaping pile of limitations attached to her hip.