15. raging hellhole (part 2)

Ren wasn't a novice at sleeping on wooden floors

Ren wasn't a novice at sleeping on wooden floors. He'd done it plenty of times in his life. But this particular floor was now an honorable mention on a growing list of "never the hell again."

Even with his cloak folded as a cushion under his head, the blistering cold and hardness blended through it, leaving him bitterly frozen with soreness raking his entire body. A muscle in his neck throbbed as he awoke to Alethia's nudging boot on his leg.

They had slept back-to-back in what appeared to be a storage room. Shelves filled to the brim with tools, nails, darkened wood, brushes, and folded woven materials. On the walls leaned small rowboats and oars, some with wide benches and others with none. The space was pitch black last night, but now the rising sun brightened the entire area, exposing the cobwebs tucked in the corners.

Aydin and Sephirah stood near the doorway, adjusting the straps of their bags. Ren rose to his feet, snatching his cloak from the ground. He unfolded the long cloth and flipped it over his shoulders.

He stared at the ceiling as he turned his neck to each side, attempting to dissipate the tension from his aching muscles. The brain fog from deep sleep began to vanish as he stretched. Ren's eyes narrowed as a sudden movement caught his attention.

He searched the ceiling until his eyes landed on a giant spider, its legs working with swiftness to create its lowering thread to the ground. Ren's eyes followed the intended path downwards until he reached Aydin's head. He smirked, amusement twitching the corners of his mouth.

Maybe the bastards upstairs did want him to find joy in life.

The spider moved fast; its black body was the size of Ren's entire thumb and its legs long enough to exceed his index finger. When it reached the tips of Aydin's hair, the spider dropped soundlessly into the tangled mess.

"You claim to attract women all this time," Ren said. Both Sephirah and Aydin whipped their heads toward him. Alethia shifted at Ren's side, twisting her belt around until the hilt of her sword rested on the right.

"Your charm is for filth," Ren finished with a smirk, pointing at Aydin's head.

Aydin raised his eyebrows. "What are you going on about?"

"A spider has grown fond of your hair." Alethia stared at his head, fascinated by the insect.

Ren rolled his eyes. Of course, she would find those hideous creatures even remotely alluring. He discarded his observational thoughts when Aydin let out a feminine yelp.

"By the goddess's lovely bones, get it off me," Aydin shouted, jumping and shaking his head hard and fast. Ren was surprised he didn't snap his neck in the process. "Get it off me, right now."

Sephirah burst out laughing, her face reddening. She clasped a hand over her mouth, attempting to muffle her loud chuckles. Aydin stumbled back, slamming into a row of assembly-lined boats. In a domino effect, they all leaned and clattered over. Ren and Alethia hurried out of the way as the rowboats came crashing down.