7. two days' time (part 1)

731 days after Queen Liliana's conquest of the Gera Kingdom

§

Ren wiped the sweat from his forehead as he stepped over a fallen bark. After a day of traveling and another cold night in the desert, they had finally left that godforsaken fire pit and entered the border of the Nix Kingdom.

Torrid winds gusted the lush, brilliant green foliage around them, sending them swaying against the stark blue sky. Thick branches shifted in an ever-changing mosaic of light and shade. Birds with bright feathers ranging from red to blue intertwined with the dance of nature, chirping and bristling the leaves in their flight. Dark brown rabbits scurried in their path while elks peered at them from afar before darting off.

A forest filled with an abundance of life, and in his opinion, it was a goddamn, bothersome racket. If someone was following them, he would never hear them coming in the midst of the chaotic noises.

Even his usual soundless steps were compromised with snapping twigs and crisp leaves. The air smelled thick with the aromatic scent of freshly damp undergrowth, clogging and tickling Ren's nose. His jaw tightened as he followed after Sephirah, who led the group with confident, familiar steps.

"It's so nice to finally be home," Sephirah exclaimed, stretching her hands high enough that they banged against the top of the boomerang strapped to her back.

Ren scowled at the words. He could never consider this hellhole home. Despite leaving behind the tortuous heat of the desert, the forest was smothering with it. Sweat ran profusely down his back and his grey shirt was drenched as if he was walking through a rainstorm.

"I'm just glad I can finally see my mother again," Aydin remarked from Sephirah's side, his head tilting down to glance at her.

Sephirah smiled at him. "I forgot your mother was here. I'm sure she'll be ecstatic to see you."

Aydin nodded. Ren noticed how the prince's eyes averted from Sephirah before glazing over. Ren was sure Aydin had mixed emotions about their reunion.

After sharing a tent for two years, Ren knew more than he desired about the man. While Ren had kept to himself, preferring silence over pointless conversations, Aydin jumped full throttle into vulgar songs and nostalgic retellings of his past.

Not only did he know Aydin well, Ren had an abundance of unnecessary information about his mother as well. From her dedication to helping refugees even in the face of the king's wrath to her religious devotion to the goddess of serenity and her compassion for the lower-class citizens by delivering bucketloads of food and medicine to them.

Aydin spoke to Ren as if he gave a flying rat's ass about any of it. But the sadistic bastards hoarding the skies wanted Ren to suffer and of course, Ren was unable to plug his ears or shut the prince up despite his threats. The idea of stuffing his ears with sand had become increasingly more enticing every night he came back to Aydin's rambling. It was a wonder Ren never went through with it.