Chapter 3

Present Day

It is night and Giulia is reading in bed. Ever since we were kids, we shared a room.

"Where are you going?" my cousin asks as I am about to sneak out.

"None of your business," I say. "Keep reading your book."

"Now, Max. You know I won't tell Mamma you're sneaking out, right?" Giulia says.

I am awestruck. "How did you----?" I start to say.

We've lived together for so long it's like my little cousin can read my mind. It's as cool as it is creepy.

"I've lived with you all my life," Giulia says, setting the book at the end of her bed. "I want to know whre you're off to."

"Like I said, Giulia. It's none of your business," I say. "Now go to sleep. I'm going off to swordsmanship practice."

"I strictly remember that's on Tuesday nights at 7:30,"Giulia says. "Try again."

I let out a nervous laugh. "Yeah, you're right. I have karate soon. Gotta sharpen my slef-defence fighting skills somehow. Plus, there's a competition coming up this weekened that I really need to train for," I lie.

"At this hour?" Giulia says. "No, no, no. You must be pazza! If so, I'll help you in the morning!"

"But I really have to go," I say. "It's important that I get to see the lush city for myself! And what's that you told me about a race once a year?"

"The Portorosso Cup?" Giulia says.

"Yeah, that's the one," I say. "What? Do you forbid it just like Zietta Primavera?"

"No," Giulia says. "It's just not right to just sneak out when Mamma tells you no."

"Well, I'm old enough, aren't I?" I say.

"I guess so. Yeah," Giulia replies.

"And I know you'll keep your mouth shut about it, right?"

"Yeah," Giulia says.

"Then it's decided," I say. "Ciao, Giulia. Oh, and buonanotte!"

Giulia closes her eyes and drifts off to sleep. "Buonanotte, Max,"she says.