Chapter 20

"We're here," Rosa says.

She enters and I follow close behind. "Mamma, Papà, may I present to you my human partner!"

I wave. "Ciao," I say. "I'm Max. Piacere."

"I met them in Portorosso!" Rosa exclaims. "Isn't it crazy?"

Her parents look at each other.

"Not at all," says Rosa's father. "Where are they from?"

"How about you ask her!" Rosa exclaims, pushing me toward her parents. "Act natural. They'll love you."

"I'm from Genova, actually," I say. "It's a train ride from Portorosso and I go to school in that city. Rosa and I met at the fair. The last day of the fair to be exact. It was night and it was like love at first sight. Then before I know it, we're in her room and then we head to my cousin's house."

"I met two other gay sea monsters named Luca and Alberto," Rosa tells her parents. "And her cousin, Giulia, is a lesbian like me! It's perfect!"

"Well, it was very nice to meet you, Max. It seems like you and our daughter work out really well," says Rosa's mother. "But I really don't wanna keep you longer. You must have something to do and somewhere to go."

"Actually, I was thinking, Max could share my room just for tonight," Rosa says.

I whisper to her, "The race."

"You said you'd find a way around it, right?" Rosa whispers back. "You said you always do."

I nod. "Of course. I've definitely got the knack for negotiating things with people."

What have I done?