Chapter 22

The day of the Portorosso Cup

"Today's the day! Rise and shine!" Giulia says.

Today is the only day we wak up super early . Especially Alberto, who definitely doesn't like getting out of bed until 10:30 in the morning.

After getting ready and eating breakfast, we head into town. And guess who we see taking part in the race again?

"Hey, broken jaw! Is your handsome face healed yet? Or is it forever scarred from the time I taught you a lesson for picking on my cousin and her friends?" I call out to my rival.

"Honestly, the two of them could be friends if not for the first time seeing each other and instantly forming an intense rivalry," Giulia remarks.

Ercole comes up to us.

"Yeah. Come on," I say. "I don't bite unless you make me."

"At least the surgery didn't ruin my face," Ercole says. "Prepare to lose, piccoletta."

"Ha! I'd like to see you try!" I say.

"Uno, due, tre!" Signora Marsigliese says. "Cominiciare!"

First up is swimming. Giulia races against Rosa.

Just as I thought, Rosa reigns victorious.

Next is pasta eating. I don't know if I can compete with Alberto, but we do so anyway.

It's a tie. Alberto gives me a high five and I high five him back.

Last was the bike race. It's close between Luca and Rosa. I encourage Rosa to keep on going. But Luca gets to it before I can even open my mouth.

"My first time was also a struggle," he tells her. "But don't worry. I'll hold your hand through the bike part of the race."

"How did you get so good?" Rosa asks.

Luca smiles. "Practise, practise, practise," he says. "Come on, Rosa! Let's win this for both of our teams!"

"Go Luca! Go Rosa!" Giulia, Alberto, and I cheer.

We end up winning the race. All of us together.

And all it took was teamwork.