Chapter 5

"You're late," Mamma says. "Where were you?"

I struggle to try and find the right lie, but knowing my aunt, it'll work the exact way it did wiht Giulia before I left for Portorosso.  And if I learnt anything form Alberto, it's to tell the truth.

But I can't tell her the truth. Just not yet.

"At the park practicing for my karate competition this weekend," I say. "Then I saw mentions of a race and I'm thinking of signing up."

Giulia facepalms.

I mean, it isn't completely a lie. The second part is kinda true. When I was walking through Portorosso, I saw fliers advertising the Portorosso Cup starting June 22 right  after the annual pride festival in our area. She couldn't say no. Not when I already had everything planned out.

"Piccoletta, are you serious? Una corsa? After what happened to Giulia years before she met her friends Luca and Alberto. No."

"You know I'm tough as nails," I say. "I'll show them. I'll even show that Ercole guy Giulia often tells me about that I'm much better and can beat him down physically and psychologically. So there's no way you can say no."

"I don't know, piccoletta," Mamma says.

"Oh, I'll show you! I'll show all of you that I'm not some regular, weak, 14-year-old girl!" I shout. "I can fend for myslef if I feel like it!"

"Maxine Marcovaldo! You do not get to talk to me like that!" she shouts. "Come back here!"

Giulia sighs. "Mamma, maybe you should let her go. You know there's no reasoning with her."

"And let her have her way all the time?" I hear Mamma say. "I refuse to give in to her bribing just so she can get what she wants!"

"I don't see anything wrong about it," Giulia says. "We both know Max means well."

I hear Mamma sigh from my room.

"I guess you're right, Giulietta," she says.

"Of course I am, Mamma!" Giulia says. "Trust me when I say Iknow Max a lot more than you think!"

She smiles. "It's final. Summer break is in a week. By that time, we'll be in Portorosso in time to compete in the race,"  She gasps. "Maybe she could compete with some other friends of mine!" Realising this isn't how I roll, Giulia says, "Yeah. That won't work. Max isnt the teamwork type."

"But don't you need a team?" Mamma asks.

"," Giulia replies. "I mean, not necessarily. She can race alone if she truly desires. The rules recommend a team, but there's nothing against a festa di uno!"

"Oh, uh, OK," Mamma says. "I guess I can let it slide for this year."

Not believing the words out of my aunt's mouth, I can't help but squeal in excitement like a girl. Uh, tomboy wise. I think. I run to Mamma and Giulia.

"Oh, there you are!" Giulia says. "Feeling better, Max?"

I smile. "Yeah," I say. "Hey, Giulia. I need to talk to you."

"Sure thing," she says. "What is it?"

"In private, please," I say.

Giulia smiles. "We'll be in our room with the door closed if you need us!"

"Of course, piccoletta," Mamma says with a smile.