Chapter 18

The next morning, my cousin is banging pots and pans around the house, obviously trying to wake us all up to start the day bright and early. And much like Luca and Alberto, I enjoyed my sleep, please and thank you. 

"Only one more day of signups! Gotta wake up if you wanna register your team of two!" Giulia says, still banging the pots and pans together.

"We get it, OK?" I shout. "Now shut up!"

"But there's only one day left," Giulia says.

"I've got it taken care of . Don't get your mutandine in a bunch," I say. "We'll train some today and then sign up. There's not much to really work on since Rosa obviously is a natural at swimming."

"Good point," she says. "But so are Luca and Alberto, but I'm doing the swimming, Alberto's eating pasta, and Luca's riding his bike."

"So, what's your point, Giulia?" I say.

"Just reminding you and Rosa that signups for the Portorosso Cup close at 5:00 tonight," Giulia says.

"We'll have plenty of time," I say. "Don't worry your testa riccia."

Giulia grumbles when I pat her head, adjusting her beanie right after.

"I hate to say this, but you win," she says, putting the cookware away. "Good luck with your training. You're gonna need it."