Chapter One

"Come on, Megs," my best friend, Gabe, says on the other line. "It will be fun."

"I don't think that's such a good idea, Gabe." I reply, holding the phone against my ear, biting my lip in the process.

"Why not?" Gabe asks with confusion.

"Girls don't normally go on vacation with their hockey playing best friend, to go hang out with his hockey playing friends." I mumble just loud enough for Gabe to hear on the other line.

"Meghan Noelle Lawrence," Gabe says with a hint of hurt in his voice. "Please?"

"Gabriel Ingemar John Landeskog," I reply. "Can I at least think about it?"

"Okay, you have until five o'clock to think about it, because I'm leaving tomorrow morning. I'm giving you a deadline." Gabe responds, sounding frustrated. "And what did I tell you about calling me that?"

"I'm sorry, Gabe." I say with a giggle. "I'll call you later."

"Remember, five o'clock," I hear Gabe's voice on the other line state before I hang up the phone.

I sigh to myself as I place my phone on the nightstand next to my bed. I see the sun peaking through the crack of my windowsill. A groan escapes my mouth as I roll out of bed. I didn't realize it was so late already. It was already noon, and I have to make up my mind about going with Gabe to Kitchener, Ontario for a couple weeks. He's meeting up with his former teammates he played with in the Ontario Hockey League, and they're renting a house out by the lake. Gabe has invited me to go with him, obviously. 

I realize maybe it would be nice to get out of Colorado for a couple weeks. The hustle and bustle of the city is driving me insane, and Gabe just finished up his sophomore season in the National Hockey League a couple weeks ago. There's really nothing to do. Plus Colorado is such a tourist trap anyways. If I could get away for a while, it could be refreshing. I still have five hours to think it over, thankfully.

-Flashback-

The Mile High Dreams Gala. An event that brings the Colorado Avalanche, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Mammoth, and Colorado Rapids  players together. As I walk into Pepsi Center, I cannot believe my eyes. Lights fill the entire arena, men and women dressed their absolute best. I'm in awe, seeing all these people here for one occasion. My friend, Brooke, stands beside me, clinging onto my arm like a scared child. Her nails dig into my flesh, and I eventually yelp in pain.

"Brooke!" I snap under my breath. "Act cool."

She nods her head as we make our way towards the Colorado Avalanche section. We look around at all the players we've grown up idolizing. Some old, some new. Then out of the corner of my eye, I see a tall, blond, muscular man make his way towards Brooke and I. A smirk spreads across his face as his icy blue eyes stare through mine. His face looks like it was carved from the angels in heaven. He looked perfect. He makes his way through the crowd in what seems to be slow motion. Once he gets closer, I know who the beautiful man is. Gabriel Landeskog.

"Hello, ladies," the Swedish rookie says. "Are you enjoying the Gala?"

"Meghan, Gabe the babe is talking to us!" Brooke squeals in my ear, which causes me to flinch.

"We're having a great time," I answer his question, and I see a smile spread across his face.

"I'm Gabriel Landeskog," he says as he shakes both of our hands. "And you ladies are?"

"I'm Meghan Lawrence, and this is my friend, Brooke Beck."  I reply with a smile. "It's very nice to meet you."

Over the course of the evening, Gabriel and I became very close. We talked about everything we could think of. Where we're from, how we grew up, the basics. We changed numbers and promised each other we would get together.

From that night on, I realized I was falling for Gabriel Landeskog.

-End of flashback-

As soon as I get out of the shower, I hear a knock on the door to my apartment. I groan as I wrap my robe around me and shuffle to answer the door. As soon as I open it, a blond figure pushes his way through the door, soon standing right in front of me. I look up at the figure and squint my eyes. After my vision adjusts to the man, I see that it's Gabe. His frame towers over mine and his blue eyes stare right through me, giving me the same butterflies he always gave me.

"What are you doing here? I told you I'd call you." I say as I cross my arms over my chest, giving Gabe a death glare, and hoping my acting is covering up my feelings towards him.

"I just wanted to see if you could say 'no' to my face," Gabe replies with a smirk, crouching down to my level so he could look directly into my eyes.

"And what if I say 'yes' instead?" I smirk back at him, still keeping my arms crossed.

"Then I'd be the happiest best friend in the world!" Gabe exclaims as he picks me up and spins me around, causing me to bust out with laughter as he does the same.

Once he puts me down, I stare into his beautiful, blue eyes; the ones that captivated me when we first met, and still do to this day. I smile at him before giving him my full answer.

"Gabe, I'd love to go to Kitchener with you." I say as his expression lights up.

"Good, because I already bought your ticket." Gabe replies with a smile as he holds up a ticket he pulled out of his back pocket.

"You sneaky Swede," I giggle as I carefully take the ticket from him. "Come on, you're going to have to help me pack if you want me to go, Landermelon."

"I guess I could deal with that."

***

"How much crap do you need to pack, Lawrence?" Gabe asks in shock as he stares at my overflowing suitcase. "We'll only be gone a month."

"Gabe, you must realize that I'm a girl. We must pack everything." I reply with a smirk as I continue digging through my closet, soon coming to the realization that Gabe is right.

I turn around to face the blue eyes boy sitting on my bed. I take out what I don't think I will need from my bag, then I ponder about what I had just taken out. I look over at Gabe and I see that he's laughing.

"You know I was kidding, right?" Gabe smirks  as he places the items I had taken out back into the bag.

He then pushes himself off of the bed and wraps his arms around me, causing me to pull closer towards his muscular chest. The smell of his cologne fills my lungs and makes my heart skip a beat.

"I better get going. I'll pick you up tomorrow morning at nine o'clock," Gabe says as he pulls away from our hug and makes his way towards the door.

"I'll see you then," I reply, watching the blue eyed boy walk out the door.

A/N -- Hey everyone! This is a new fan fiction. And If you're wondering why Jeff Skinner is on the cover, don't worry. It will be revealed in the next chapter. I hope you enjoy this story. Please comment and vote! --- XxCountryNiallerxX