Chapter Eleven

Gabe's POV

"God, I'm wasted." Jeff slurs as we walk through the front door.

It's pitch black and I can't see a thing. As an intoxicated Jeff is leaning on my shoulder, I pat the wall as I try to find the light switch. Once the room lightens up, I look down and see Jeff laughing at me. I've never seen him this drunk as long as I've known him. I raise my eyebrow as I wrap my arm around him, making sure he doesn't lose his balance.

"I think you had too much to drink, Skinner." I say as I lead him down the hallway to the room we're sharing.

"No, no, no," he slurs as he pushes himself through the door. "I'm fine. You're the one who is drunk, Liverwagon."

Liverwagon? Well, that's a new one.

"Remind me again why you drank four beers, five shots, and God knows what else?" I ask as I carefully rest him on the bed.

"Because she's not going to pick me." Jeff replies with a hiccup. "She's not going to pick me, so I might as well drink away the pain."

I look at Jeff with my mouth hanging open. Does he really think drinking away his problems will help? I shake my head as I turn away from him, going over to his dresser and pulling out some clothes for him to wear to bed. As I turn back to face him, his face is beat red and he looks like he is about to have an emotional breakdown. In fact, I know he is. We're best friends, and we can tell when one of us is about to lose it.

"But what if she does choose you?" I ask him as I hand him his pajamas. "Then you did all of this for nothing."

"She's not going to, Gabe. Do you see the way she looks at you?" Jeff replies, his eyes narrowing as he pushes himself off of the bed to change. I'm actually surprised he can change without falling over.

I guess he does have a point there, but I am in no mood to argue with a drunk. I have a feeling that Meghan will choose Jeff over me, though. I honestly wouldn't blame her, either. I've been a jerk to her sometimes, and Jeff has been his innocent self.

After Jeff is done changing, he falls back on the bed. A deep sigh escapes his mouth and his hands cover his face.

"I wish this was easier." Jeff sighs as he looks up at me. "It's so hard fighting for a girl who is in love with someone else."

"I know, dude. It'll be over soon, though." I say, trying to calm him down. "But if she doesn't choose me, I'm glad she picked you. You're the only person I trust her with."

Jeff looks up at me and smiles before replying, "That means a lot."

"Hey, I'll let you get some sleep. I want you to sober up." I say as I pat him on the back, soon making my way out towards the living room.

I am so tempted to see if Meghan is still up, but I know she went to bed several hours ago. Hence her telling Jeff and I to go have a guys night out. I stand by her door before telling myself to just head for the couch and catch some sleep. I need to sleep off the slight buzz I'm feeling. When I finally settle down and get comfortable, darkness soon takes over my body.

***

"Do you Gabriel Ingemar John Landeskog take Meghan Noelle Lawrence to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold? For better or for worse? In sickness and in health, til death do you part?" the priest says as I am lost in the eyes of a beautiful bride. 

I take a deep breath before replying, "I do."

"Do you Meghan Noelle Lawrence take Gabriel Ingemar John Landeskog to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold? For better or for worse? In sickness and in health, til death do you part?" the priest repeats again, this time to the beautiful woman all dressed in white.