Women

I was getting dressed for office. I took out a coffee coloured shirt with black trousers from the almirah. I stroked the clothes gently. To be showered with love by your beloved, what a wonderful feeling it was!

I wasn't required in the office until one in the afternoon because that was when editing desk begins to function - when the reporters have gathered the news. As my first day at the office, I had been summoned early to be introduced to my colleagues and so that I could learn about the house style and layout of the publications before working on it.

After getting ready, I went downstairs and the usual scene awaited me – Mummyji in mandir and Bauji reading the newspaper, and Neero bhaiya, our household helper, in the kitchen. Bauji would leave for office soon and I would spend my morning with Mummyji , until it was time for me to leave.

***

I reached office with a bunch of Daisies. Now the problem was I could not just walk in with the bouquet – It would be very embarrassing. I stood near the gate and looked around for some help. I waved to Gopi kaka, whom I spotted nearby.
'Ram Ram Randheer Sahab !', he greeted me with a smile.
'Ram Ram Kaka, ek chota sa kaam tha aapse'. I brought forward the bunch of flowers.
'ji, ye aap sab se nazrein bacha ke –'
'Amrit Bitiya ke cabin mein rakhna hai ?', he asked. 'Samjhiye ho gaya !', he said with a smile.
I stroked the back of my neck and nodded. They all did it so plainly and embarrassed me even more. He went in and after waiting for a while, I too went in as if I had just arrived.

Amrit was already there. She was elegantly dressed in a yellow salwar kameez with an orange dupatta. She was in deep conversation with Manoj. And apparently they were in discussion about some article. But he was the financial journalist ! I was confused.
She turned towards me when I was just near gate and excusing herself, walked up to me with a bright smile.
'Good Noon Amrit ! Aap -', I said raising my finger with a confused look.
'Ji vo nayi jute policy aayi hai na. Abhi abhi khabar aayi. Manoj bhaiya mainu usike baare mein bata rahe the!'
I was further confused. What was going on?!
'Randheer, mera kaam kahaniyan aur samajik muddon par lekh likhna hi hai, par baaki sab cheez cheez ki jaankaari rakhna bhi to zaroori hai ! Warna akhbaar mein kaam karne ka kya fayda ?! Main anuvaad aur proofreading mein bhi madad kar hi deti hoon', she replied with a twinkle in her eyes.
'Ye baat to aapne ekdum sahi kahi Amrit ! Bas aapko tushti milni chahiye kaam se !', I said with smile. She nodded in approval.
'Waise kayi khat aaye hai mere paas mujhe badhai dete hue ki burkhewaali ka taangewaala laut aaya ! Dilli ki jaanta badi khush hai !', she beamed.
'Par main to kal aaya tha daftar. Mujhe to koi khat nahi mile ?!'
'Khat mere naam par aaye the to aapko kaise milein ?', she simpered.
'Ye bhi sahi hai !', I smiled.
'Randheer ! Radha Chachiji aayi hui hai aaj.', she said with a grin.
'Amrit ! Maine to poochhna hi bhool gaya ! Vo kaisi hai aur aapke saath nahi rehti ?'
'Ji unhe bhi unke Mohan mil gaye.',
'Ji ?'
'Randheer unka vyaah ho gaya ! Humaare jijaji ka naam Mukund hai. Vo log yahin Dilli mein hi pale-badhe hain aur yahi rehte hain'
'Jijaji ?!', I asked with an amused expression.
'Darasal, wahi zor dete mujhe aur Vashma ko unhe jijaji kehne ko. Ab Radha chachiji humaari behen jaise hi hui. Assi ohnu chachaji thodi kahenge ?!', she joked. 'Humne to unhe bhi kaha ki ab aapko chachiji nahi kahenge. Vo aapke zindagi ka ek hisse tha jo beet gaya. Par vo hain ki maanti hi nahi. Aur koi keh ke dekhe ki Uday Veerji unke puttar nahi hai ! Pura mohalla sar pe utha lena hai ohne !', she said with a smile.
'To aapke ye jijaaji kaam kya karte hai ?', I asked with crossed arms.
'Ji vo peshe se vakeel hai ! Par aapne na kade vi na inni baatein karne waala inna zinda-dil vakeel nahi dekhiya hoga !', she said with sparkle.
'Kya mujhe fikr honi chahiye ki aap kisi ki itni taareef kar rahi hai ?'
'Ji agar aapko fikr karni hai to aap kar sakte hai !', she said with a smirk.
'Ab to milna padega in janaab se !', I said giving her a worried look.
'Mil lijiyega aaj raat ko. Aaj aap sab ka raat ka khaana Prem Nivas par hi hai. Mummyji ko bhi kehelwa diya hai maine.', she said and walked away with a smile.
I too went down to my desk. It had a bunch of articles neatly placed on it. And the top most sheet had a story written by Amrit with a note attached.
'Saalon baad aaj ek alag lazzat thi likhaayi mein !'
The smile on my face couldn't be any brighter.