Dholki

Sitting at my dressing table, I was getting ready. Radha jiji was helping me. Vashma was so confused, she couldn't decide whether she wanted to stay by my side or look into the preparations. Therefore she changed places with Radha Jiji every now and then. And Radha jiji accommodated for this arrangement more than happily. Presently Vashma was attending the guests downstairs.

Before me, on the table, was a pretty, flat basket lined with bangles of all colours. On one side was my hand mirror – elegant, intricate, made of brass. On the other side was a beautiful metal box, filled to the brim with jhumkas and baalis. And dangling down from a corner of the box was my payal – unaccompanied, just to be gazed at.
I had donned a ruby pink salwar kameez with golden zardozi work accompanied by a light golden net dupatta. Radha jiji carefully swirled the dhoop vessel under my hair, perfuming my hair. I applied kohl from my kajloti, and she braided my hair.

'Amrit! Kinni sohni lag ho tussi. Hayeee!! Damaadji ne toh dekhte reh jaana hai tuhaanu!'
I looked down with an embarrassed grin. Chirpily, she added 'Ruko ji tuhaanu kala tika lagaa du hein!' She smudged the kohl in her eyes with her little finger and applied it like a dot behind my ear.

Just then Keerti peeked into my room stealthily. As I turned around, she tip-toed in, placed a small pretty wooden box in front of me, waved us a goodbye with a smirk and left without a word. Both of us, looked at each-other and then at her with an amused smile as she left.
I eagerly opened the box. It had lovely golden bangles. They were so beautiful!
'Bade sohne hai Amrit! Lao main pehna doon!', Radha jiji said with a pleased smile.
'Nahi nahi!', I stopped her. 'Rehne do tussi, aene vi kuch khaas nahi hai!', I said, running my fingers over them.
She looked at me with a confused expression. 'Acha? Thik hai lao doosri chudiyaan pehna doon.'
'Uh.. rehne do. Aaj chudiyaan pehen-ne ka mann nahi kar raha mainu', I said, biting my lip.
'Amrit, kore haath jaogi neeche toh acha thodi lagega?! Nai nai nai pehen lo na chudiyaan!', she requested.
'Nai jiji, mann nahi kar raha chudiyaan pehen-ne ka', I said, looking at those bangles mischievously.

*

Prem Niwas and Raizada Sadan were decked top to bottom with alternative strings of fairylights and yellow-orange flowers from outside.
Inside Prem Niwas, the drawing room was bustling with guests – neighbours, colleagues, friends and family. The center table and the takhts had been transported upstairs to the terrace. Instead, mattresses had been laid out around the drawing room, with dholaks and harmonium along with abundant cushions and masands. Every mattress had stands beside them with tilted pots and marigold flower strings dangling down from the mouths. One takht was placed against the wall opposite the door, slightly to the left – the bride's seat, my seat.

I saw dagras and dagras of mogra blossoms, all around me. I took some and smelled them. I really didn't know what brides are supposed to carry in their potlis but I took a few handful of mogra blossoms and stuffed them in my potli. These had made my day today.

That's when Kabir came sprinting in front of me, 'Mummy!'
I eagerly turned towards him. My tiny Kabir was wearing Kurta-pyjama today. This was a surprise, Vashma hadn't discussed this with me. Oh! He just looked so exceedingly adorable!
He ran into my arms and I kissed him hard on his head.

'Main kaisa lag raha hoon?', he asked enthusiastically.
'Bohot pyaara lag raha hai mera Kabir!'
'Sabse pyaara?', he asked whimsically.
'Haan haan, sabse pyaara!', I said boastfully.
'Oye hoye hoye hoye! Tussi vi toh kinni pyaari lag rahi ho!', he said cutely.
I gave him a pleased smile.

Soon, Randheer entered Prem Niwas with Mummyji, Bauji, Mama-Mamiji and his troop of cousins. He was wearing an embroidered ruby pink kurta paired with a light golden patiala. He met people around, embraced some, touched someone's feet, conversed with someone and my eyes were stuck on him. Then suddenly he turned towards me and startled, I gave a little shiver. Flustered, I looked elsewhere. But I could feel his eyes on me.