Khumaari

The first light of the day peeped in through the bed curtains, breaking my slumber. I fluttered my eyelids opens slowly moving my strained arms lazily when I sensed something.
Amrit was sleeping next to me – a smile etched in her lips, as delicate as the morning mist.
After a while, she turned towards me, placing her palm on my upper arm.
I decided against moving my arm, lest she would wake up.

raat kali khaab mein aayi
aur gale ka haar hui!
raat kali ik khaab mein aayi
aur gale ka haar hui!
subah ko jab hum neend se jaage
aankh unhi se chaar hui!
raat kali khaab mein aayi
aur gale ka haar hui!

This precious lovely woman was my wife? Ah, my wife!

chaahe kaho isse mere mohabbat
chaahe hasi mein udaado!
ye kya hua mujhe
mujhko khabar nahi!
ho sake tum hi bata do!

tumne kadam jo rakha zameen par
seene mein kyun jhankaar hui?
raat kali khaab mein aayi
aur gale ka haar hui!

After a long while of gazing at my beautiful beautiful wife, she lazily opened her eyes.
For once she was in a daze when she looked up at me, smiling softly.
'Good morning Amrit', I said with a mellow smile.
That brought her out of her reverie. Tracing the curve of her face, I whispered, 'Aisi gulaabi si.... khoobsurat si subah pehli dafa aayi hai mere hisse aayi hai!'
She looked up at me for a while with a twinkle in her eyes and then looked down with a scarlet smile. I nuzzled against the crook of her neck.

*

Amrit was dressed in a raspberry red organza saree. Ah! She looked gorgeous. I wasn't ready yet. Still in my housecoat pyjamas. Without so much as a glance towards me, she walked past to the vanity. And I stood there, taken aback. That – should be made illegal.
She had already kept the jewellery on the dressing table before leaving to get dressed. She bent forward for it, and I clutched her hand mid-way. She caught her breath, as she half turned towards me.
'Koi... gustaakhi hui hai mujhse?', I asked softly.
'Nai nai... ', she meekly shook her head, turning crimson.
'Phir aapne meri ore dekha tak nahi?', I asked with questioning eyes.
'Voh mainu... jaldi taiyaar hona hai.. Mumm..yji intezaar kar rahi hongi', she faltered.
'Oh!' I remarked, raising my eyebrows.
She bent forward the other hand, and I clutched too on the other side, and closed my arms around her.
'Jaa..ne do mainu', she requested.
'Iski zimmedar aap hai!', I said whimsically.
'Ji..?', she asked timidly.
'Aap ek martawa dekh leti meri taraf, main wahin dher jho jaata! Par aapne yoon nazar-andaz hi kar diya mujhe', I complained.
'Mainu maaf kar do. Aage se.... maine kabhi nai karna hai aise. Sacchi!! ', she said cutely, looking up at my reflection in the mirror.
'Par agar aapko neeche hi na jaane diya jaaye... toh?'
'Nai nai nai nai nai!', she babbled, turning redder.
'Yoon bhi na sharmaiye! Dil ko samhaalna doobhar ho jaata hai', I replied tenderly.
I didn't know she could turn even redder but she did, averting her gaze. O Goodness!
'Aap bhi... taiyaar ho jao. Aapka bhi... intezaar kar rahe honge sab', she said timidly.
'Nahi kar rahe honge', I said softly.
I just shut my eyes and we stood there for quite some time. When I opened my eyes, I found her staring at me, with a satiated smile.
'Amrit? Kya dekh rahin hai?', I asked with a smile.
She looked down with a soft blush and mumbled , 'Apni zindagi'
I sighed. I kissed the top of her head and withdrew. 'Chaliye main bhi taiyaar ho jaata hoon. Yoon toh...', I trailed off.
She nodded sweetly.

I had taken two steps when she said, 'Theheriye theheriye!'
I darted back at double speed.
She had opened the armoire. Amused, I stood cross armed against the wall. She stood there thinking for a while, looked down at her sari once and then moved forward, probably having chosen something. 
She had taken out an off-white pathaani set.
'Aap... ye pehnenge?', she asked softly, turning to me.
With a goofy smile, I replied, 'Aap itne pyaar se poochhengi toh koi bhi kuch bhi karne ko maan jaaye, main toh fir aapka Randheer hoon. Laaiye!' I extended my hand out.
Flushed, she handed it to me, and I left with a smile.