Chapter 1: Introduction

Y/n was made an avenger 3 years ago, Following her escape of the Red Room. She was found bloody and weak, half dead in an alley way, a large gash on her left thigh from where she had cut out her tracking beacon, accidently slicing through her main artery in the process.

She was found by non other than the infamous Captain America.

Steve quickly brought y/n back to the compound, insisting Tony and Bruce check her over. The plan was to let y/n go once they were sure she had recovered, however this went out the window the second Natasha instantly recognised her beaten face.
Y/n relayed her story as best she could, though she was still cautious around the strangers, but she learned to trust them, and to love them like the family she never had.

Bucky joined the team one year later, but this wasn't the pairs first encounter. During y/n's time in the Red Room, Hydra made a deal with Dracov, that if their best soldier could beat his, he would be forced to hand over 5 of his best Widows. However, if it were the other way around, Hydra would be forced to stop meddling in Red Room affairs.

Y/l/n and Barnes were the two agents selected, forced to fight with no mercy, leaving each other with more than enough bruises to last a life time. But this wasn't a one time occurrence. As time went on, the two organisations deemed this a suitable way to settle affairs or 'trade' agents. So when Steve brought his 'friend' to the compound, the pair weren't exactly elated to see one another.

2 weeks after Bucky's arrival, the pair had their first proper conversation. Y/n had woken in a pool of sweat, as per usual, her nightmares preventing her from obtaining a decent night's sleep.

She swung the covers off of her body, stepping out of bed and into the empty hallway, making a bee line for the kitchen.
It was 3 in the morning, so she wasn't expecting to arrive to find a figure leaning on the kitchen island, all lights off. Out of impulse she grabbed the knife sat on the counter beside her, hurtling the weapon at the figures head, the movement causing the motion sensor bulbs to spring to life, revealing Bucky, catching the blade mere inches from his face.

"What the hell were you doing sat with the lights out Barnes?! You gave me a damn heart attack!" She whisper shouted, aware of the fact that the others were still asleep. He responded with a simple shrug, before standing and placing his, now empty, glass of water in the sink.
"What's up with you?" She asked, almost sarcastically.
The tall man stalked over to her, stopping directly in front of her face.

"You know damn well why I'm here, it's you, it's all you. You're the reason I wake up screaming and we both know I'm the reason you're here too. So let's stop this act, let's drop this fake friendship we uphold around Steve and let's forget about the niceties, because I sure as hell dont want to play buddies with the woman who ruined my life, and I know for a fact you dont want to either" He growled before bumping his shoulder into hers, leaving the room.

That night stuck with y/n, and she hated it. If the only person who may have understood what she went through, hated her, then she couldn't imagine the hatred others must feel.

2 years later, and the two only talk when necessary, and even then the conversation is cold and short lived. The pair preferred to stay away from one another when possible, but that was about to become a whole lot harder.

Y/n was sat in the common room watching TV when Jarvis alerted her that her presence was required in the meeting room. Getting up and setting her bowl of crisps aside, she began her short journey to the other room, expecting nothing more than Tony telling her off for missing a mission report, but when she arrived, Steve, Tony and Bucky were all there waiting.

"What's going on?" She asked, grabbing Tony's attention, causing him to turn in her direction.
"I'm gonna keep this short and sweet. Things have taken a turn for the worse and you and Terminator over here are in a little bit of danger." Tony explained, y/n glancing at Bucky, only to find he was already glaring at her.

"We found evidence that Hydra and the Red Room have banded together to form one, stronger organisation, and we've received files containing a plan to bring the two of you back into the picture." Steve explained.
"OK, and?" Y/n questioned, crossing her arms. Sighing, Steve replied.
"You have to leave for a while - I know you can handle yourself! But it's a precaution we have to take." He interjected before she could.
"Pack your bags, there's a car waiting outside, locations already set up in the GPS. Try not to contact us for a while, stay safe." He finished, giving his two friends a slight smile before exiting, Tony doing the same, only he patted y/n on the shoulder saying,
"Good luck kiddo."

Y/n looked up at Bucky, dreading what was to come.
"I guess we should go pack." She suggested, cocking an eyebrow, earning an eye roll from the tin man. After sulking back to her room, she quickly packed the few items that held any value to her: A picture of herself and Nat, the piece of Steve's shield that had broken off they day he saved her, and the first thing she bought for herself once she was free, a necklace.

Standing in the doorway, Y/n looked at her room before sighing and making her way out to the car. This was going to be torture.