Chapter 8: Pickup lines

I stayed in my room until the next morning, deciding I didn't want to break the tradition of making him breakfast. I walked down stairs and cracked some eggs and whisked them in a bowl with some cinnamon and soaked a few pieces of bread in it before frying them in a pan to make some French toast.

Shortly after I started cooking, Bucky appeared.

"Morning Doll." He greeted, sitting down at the kitchen island. That damn pet name gave me butterflies every time, and I hated how much I loved it.

"Morning Bucky." I replied, not turning to look at him.

"Oh Doll come on please don't be cold around me again, I was just beginning to like you." He flirted.
"You having some trouble with rule number 4?" I shot back.
"Maybe a little." He smirked, surprising me slightly.
"No you're not, you're just bored and horny." I stated as I set his plate down infront of him, sitting down on the opposite side of the table.
"I am both of those things, but there's other reasons I'm having trouble with number 4." He said as he put a piece o toast in his mouth.
"Such as?" I asked

"Oh you're just, funny, and kind, and so smart, not to mention drop dead gorgeous, I mean even when I hated you I couldnt help but think you were pretty. Then there's the whole relatable thing, like you're the only person in the world who could possibly understand what I went through and although I used to see that as a bad thing, its now one of the best parts about you. Oh besides your eyes, and your smile, like when you smile my whole world lights up and-" He rambled on nonchalantly.
"-Ok I get it." I interrupted him.

"But you know what the worst part is?" He asked, looking into my eyes.
"What?" I asked slightly nervous.
"You stand in your own way, you prevent yourself from being happy and I don't know if you do it purposefully or not but you need to know, that you, deserve happiness more than any other living being on this planet." He assured, reaching out for my hand.

Just as I did in my flashback, I reached out for it hesitantly, but eventually out my palm into his. I looked into his eyes and instantly knew what he wanted to do, so I simply shook my head.

"Why won't you kiss me?" He asked. I just stared at him before asking,

"What?"

"Why don't you want to kiss me?" He repeated. All I could do was stare at him silently, "Because the only explanation I can seem to think of is that you're a bad kisser." He stated, raising an eyebrow.

"No, no I'm absolutely not." I defied, shaking my head.

"Really? Prove it." He said bluntly, a slight smirk playing on his face. Yet again, I just stared at him, his hand still placed in mine as I thought about my next actions.

"I have nothing to prove to you." I smirked as I slowly drew my hand out of his, walking out of the kitchen and into the living room. Leaving Bucky to watch as I left, hips swaying just a tiny bit.

The next few days were filled with cheesy pick up lines and attempts to kiss me. He hadn't been successful yet, partially because I was still unsure, and partially because it was extremely entertaining.

I was sat in the living room watching the tv with a bar of Hershey's chocolate in hand. Bucky walked into the room from behind me and said,

"Hershey's makes hundreds of kisses a day, all I'm asking from you is one." As he leaned on the back of the sofa next to me.

"Wow." I laughed," That surprisingly wasn't so bad." I said with a smile.
"So you'll do it?" He asked hopefully.
"No." I smiled before he sighed and jumped over the back of the couch, landing next to me.
"Do you really want me to kiss you because of a pick up line?" I asked, looking over at him.
"No, not really." He answered truthfully, looking back over at me.
"Then why all this?" I continued as I paused the tv.

"Because I don't want you to think I'm just 'bored and horny' as you put it. I didn't want it to seem as though I gave up but I also didn't want to say some sappy thing every day because then the words loose meaning." He said looking down.

"And what words are those?" I asked.

"That I admire how Strong you are and that I respect you so much for what you do. I mean I know what you went through and to see you now so selfless and generous is genuinely inspiring. Then there's your kindness, I know we never used to get along, but to the others, I always noticed how you would go out of your way for any of them, no matter what. Oh and you're smart, like incredibly smart, when we're on a mission and it seems like there's nothing else we can do, you always come up with another thing to try, and it almost always succeeds. And it's not that this really matters, but you're the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen, and I'm not just saying that. Even before all this safehouse stuff, I was never able to think of anyone I've ever seen that was prettier than you."

"Once we got past all the hatred and blame, I really grew to like you, then I started to think about why I may have hated you so much over the passed few years and I started to realise maybe it was because I didn't want to acknowledge I had feelings for you because I knew you wouldn't feel the same. I'm just, so much happier than I can ever remember being, and I know I don't remember half my life but, I doubt anyone ever brought me as much joy as you do and I would spend every day of the rest of my life making you feel the same because you deserve it way more than I do, way more than anyone does." He finished, looking down in at his lap. His usual cocky behaviour completely vanished.

I reached up and placed my hand on the side of his face, him subconsciously leaning into it slightly. I put my thumb under his chin and gently pushed it up so that he was looking at me.

"I prefer that to the pickup lines." I smiled before leaning in and finally kissing him. It was slow and intimate, somehow conveying multiple emotions, finally putting aside our past and allowing myself to be happy for once in my life.

We pulled away, my hand still on his cheek as he turned his head to kiss my palm causing me to chuckle.

"Having some trouble with rule number 4?" He mocked.

"Oh I'll take it back." I joked.

"Don't you dare." he said leaning back in and collecting our lips once again. I did deserve this, we deserved this. In all honesty, I had feelings for Bucky before coming here too, and spending all this time together only made my crush grow. So It was my turn to be happy, and if that meant I got to get closer to Bucky, then that was a huge bonus.

----------------------------------------‐---------------------