Chapter 7: The Flashback

Another week had passed yet this one was far better than the first. The two had grown somewhat close. Movie nights were no longer 'mandatory' but were looked forward too, board games weren't a last resort but were a fun way to pass time, they didn't just spend meals together but found it was far more enjoyable finding things to do in each others company.

We had also slowly began to talk about our pasts, nothing serious, but more prepping ourselves for a proper conversation. I was sat on the couch watching tv when my stomach began to rumble. Bucky was already in the kitchen making dinner but there was no harm in getting a small snack.

I made my way through the hall and turned the corner into the kitchen only to see Bucky flip a knife in his hands. This was all it took to send me right back into the red room. I looked around and saw both myself and Bucky standing in the ring, as though I was watching from a third person point of view.

I watched as he flipped the knife in his hand and lunged forward. I moved to the side, grabbing his wrist and kneeing him in the stomach as he grabbed my ankle and pulled it up to force me down onto my back, followed by me rolling away and springing back up.

I slowly started walking forward, watching mine and Bucky's past self's fight. Tears started to pool in my eyes as the noises of our grunts and shouts began to fade until I could only see our mouths moving, no noise could be heard.

I felt the urge to look behind me, turning my head to see the same ring, Bucky and I still in it, only this time we were sat down facing each other. I looked back again and saw the other ring gone. I tilted my head slightly, confused at the memory I didn't know I had.

I listened and watched intently, but I couldn't hear a thing, nor see our mouths move. We simply sat there looking down at our laps, unsure of what to say or do.

He looked up at me, staring at my face, reaching a hand out, an expression of worry on his face as he did so. I looked up at him slightly confused and slightly frightened. I was right up next to the ring now, looking at us closely, analysing our faces, wanting to remember this moment.

His eyes seemed to plead with me, begging me to reach out, obviously needing some form of human contact. I watched, hoping I would take is hand as if I were watching the couple I was rooting for in my favourite show.

I slowly reached out, always cautious, pausing as my hand hovered above his before placing my palm into his larger one. I looked down at my own palm, surprised that my present self felt the movement too. A slight pressure form him squeezing my hand snapped me back to reality.

Suddenly I was on the kitchen floor, knees pulled up to my chest, tears in my eyes as I struggled to breathe. I looked down at my hand to see Bucky's in mine, squeezing it.

"You ok?" He asked panicked, fear and concern written all over his face.

I looked around completely confused and still very dazed, searching for the ring, for the dim lighting, for my past self, but it was all gone.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm good." I sighed, regulating my breathing. I went to brush the hair out of my face, only to sweep my fingers across some form of fluid. Pulling my hand back to look at it, I noticed the blood on my fingers.

"You hit your head when you fell." Bucky explained.

"I fell?" I asked

"Do you not remember anything?" He asked, worried I had some form of brain damage from the fall.

"I remember being hungry and making my way to the kitchen, then I saw you flip your knife and all of a sudden I was back...there." I explained. He looked at me confused before realisation came over his face.

"Come on." He said gently, helping me up and over to the kitchen counter. I sat up on it as he went to grab a wet cloth to help clean my head, preparing myself for my explanation. He sat down on the stall in front of me just like last time, putting the wash cloth up to my head.

"So what did you see?" he asked as he began to clean away the blood.

"At first it was just us fighting, but it was like I was looking in on it, from outside the ring. No one else was there it was just us. I watched for a bit then everything went quiet and when I turned around, there was another ring while the other one was gone. We were both still there, but, I mean." I fumbled, unsure of how to say it.

"Do you remember holding hands?" I asked abruptly. He pulled away quickly, confused.

"Sorry, I mean I saw us just sat in the ring, you put your hand out and I took it. We just stayed there in silence." I explained, still trying to make sense of it myself. There was a pause for a few seconds.

"Yes, yes I do." He admitted, looking down.
"What?" I asked surprised.
"I remember." He replied.
"Why didn't you tell me?" I questioned quietly.
"I just assumed you knew."
"When?"
"When what?"
"When did you remember?"
"A week or so before we came here. A few memories started coming back to me and I guess that was one." He shrugged.
"Do you know why we did it? Was it the only time?" I pondered.
"I'm not sure, I just remember feeling sad and then - hopeful. Sort of like, and its cheesy, light in the dark."

"Wow that is cheesy." I laughed, breaking the awkwardness, earning a chuckle in response.
"Yeah just a little." He responded, looking at me with a smile.

Our grins slowly faded, staring at each other, our minds somehow both empty and full at the same time. He slowly began to lean in, reflexively, I did too. Just before our lips met, I came to my senses and moved back slightly, our faces still close, but the action conveyed what I was doing.

"We can't do this." I whispered
"No, no please y/n, I thought we got passed this." He sighed.
"No Bucky we can't go from hating to kissing in the space of two weeks, I can't just forget everything like that." I counterargued, getting up off the kitchen counter.

"You had no problem with it when we were just friends and I know you feel something y/n I can see it. We both know I'm not the sort of person to keep pestering a woman after she said no but you deserve happiness and I think I can give that to you." He stated as he followed me up the stairs and to my room as I opened the door.

"Rule number 1." I reminded him sadly, shutting the door, leaving him staring at my door, both disappointed and determined.

----------------‐--‐‐-----------------------------------‐‐------