Dark Places

Transylvania, days later...

Deep in the Carpathian mountains and built into the side of a mountain lay the fortress where the creature known as Dracula dwelt along with his followers. Part of the castle was built inside the mountain to house the vampires from daylight. The other half was for the night and looked like any other castle. However it was high up into the mountains and hidden away from humans that would seek to hunt the vampires down. Those humans that were too brave or too stupid to turn back could eventually find the hidden castle, but they never returned from the venture. Leading many to believe that finding Dracula's castle was a fool's errand. Besides only a fool would seek out Dracula after all he was an evil monster that hated the living. While it was true that he hated humans and cared little Vlad Tepes as he was once known had good reasons for what he did, or at least to him he had good reason. Dressed in black leather trousers, boots, and belt with a black tunic he moved about his halls. Usually he wondered to think and dwell on what he wanted most. More than blood or life he wanted his bride, his Elora. He had close to over one-hundred years to dwell on her and he would do so for eternity.

However today his thoughts turned to a minor problem, one easily fixed. A minor group of lords thought to gain his powers after hearing a ridiculous rumour of a prophet. Still as master he could not allow for any threat to his rule, even a minor one. Minor threats tend to snowball and become larger threats if allowed. So he sent a spy to France to learn the nature of the threat, and hopefully soon he would know of it. Sure enough Vlad turned as he heard the tap of boots approaching from the other end of the corridor. It was his Captain, Aiden. The older grizzled man now bore a scar on his cheek from before being turned a lasting reminder of the loyalty the captain displayed. The captain as always wore black armour and held a note in his hand.

"My lord, message from France. Our spy found the prophet."

"And?"

"And he was talking to a group of vampire hunters about his little prophecy." Vlad gave a short laugh knowing Aiden thought prophecies to be equally ridiculous.

"Let me guess they found some holy relic to send me to hell. Some sacred cross, or ancient weapon. The spear of Christ perhaps?"

"No my lord, the prophet claimed the weapon of choice to be a girl of all things." Aiden scoffed, then smiled as Vlad burst out laughing, then both straightened as Vlad's expression darkened.

"There is only one who could have been used as a weapon against me, and she was murdered by those wretches I tried to protect."

"I know my lord." Aiden said bowing, Vlad shook his head.

"What else? The other vampires sent by those that oppose me?"

"They were spotted by the group of hunters. In fact I believe your rivals slipped up. They thought to ambush the hunters not thinking how skilled they were." Aiden replied.

"Well then the problem solves itself." Vlad turned to walk away, but Aiden sighed.

"Not quite my lord. That very group of hunters believed the silly prophecy, they are heading here." Aiden said and Vlad groaned as he turned back to his captain.

"Do we know anything about these hunters?"

"They are led by one Professor Abraham Van Helsing, my lord. According to what we have gathered he is one of the best as are his team of seven other hunters."

"Hmph! Eight professional Vampire hunters coming here to die, more like." Vlad replied.

"It does look that way my lord. How do you wish to proceed?" Aiden asked as Vlad stopped and thought a moment.