Prophecy

It had been a long infuriating wait, but now the moment of truth had arrived. The moment of truth was irritatingly disappointing. The moon was blood red and had eclipsed but no girl, only disappointed hunters that were complaining. Dracula glared down at the scene and clearing from his spot in the tree high above. With his abilities he could hear thoughts, but why bother? They had no thoughts of value, however his super sensitive hearing picked up a voiced thought making him listen more intently. "The prophet made no mention that the girl was from Transylvania, did he?"

The question was not really relevant until the one asked the question turned to one of the other hunters, a look of horror on his face. "Lec sweetie keep your hood up." The hunter advised in what was meant for her ears alone, but he heard him. Then he turned to two others. "Get her out of here now!"

Dracula zeroed in on the hooded figure that was now obviously a woman, she would die painfully. He was about to attack when he was reminded Renfield's servants that were coming to slaughter the hunters and girl. Another hunter distracted him from his target by calling out and pointing out a young woman in a shawl. He looked back to the other two hunters when he heard the girl speak. "You had me worried for a second there Uncle."

The man her uncle was relaxing and smiling. "For a second I was terrified I had put you in needless danger."

Dracula grinned viciously none of them were going to leave this clearing alive. Then the girl in the shawl one of Renfield's servants ripped out the throat of the hunter which signalled the other vampires to enter the clearing. Soon the clearing erupted into a frenzied chaos, as the hunters pulled their weapons. Dracula decided to see how good the hunters really were before he would slaughter everyone. He watched as the concerned uncle pulled a crossbow and started shooting vampires left and right, his niece pulled twin short swords and moved about the battlefield like a graceful dancer. Most the hunters used silver blades, and maces. A few used bows, or crossbows, and a select few used pistols. The more well trained hunters easily held their own against the vampires, the weaklings fell easily.

It was when many of the vampires were dusted and a some of the hunters lay dying or dead that he decided to eradicate all in the clearing. Now they would learn that to defy him meant death.

The ambush and fight felt like the longest time ever to Lecura even if mere minutes had only passed. With an ambush like this she knew there would be casualties, and prayed it was not her friends dying. Sadly she had no time to worry over that, it was a fight to survive, and one they were miraculously winning. Then suddenly the battle stopped, the vampire that had been about to charge her stopped and looked up in fear. This got Lecura to look up and see a sea of bats overhead, everyone's gaze was on the strange sight. Then without warning the bats descended on them in a giant wave. She heard the screams and cries of those around her and felt her feet leave the ground. She was in the air and being thrown around like a rag doll.

Instinct made her close her eyes and try to shield her face, but she knew everyone in the clearing was in the air too and at the mercy of the winged creatures. She could hear their cries and screams as the bats bit and scratched them all over. The pain of being bitten by dozens of the winged beasts forced a scream out of her as they were thrown about violently. Lecura preyed to god that the nightmare of this moment would end, and fortunately her prayers were answered. She hit the ground hard on her side knocking the wind out of her, she also had struck her head on a small rock sticking up.

Slowly she took in air and forced her eyes open to find her friends and fellow hunters on the ground about the clearing. Some were moving, which led her to believe that many of them were alive yet. Amidst the many hunters she found her uncle as he struggled to shake off what had just happened. However the figure that stood over him frightened her, something in her rational mind screamed he was dangerous. A moment later it was confirmed as the figure reached down and picked her uncle up by the throat. 'No! Leave my uncle alone monster!' Lecura thought wishing she could speak the words. Fighting through the screaming pain from the bites, her side, and her head injury, Lecura pulled one of her boat daggers. 'Please god. Do not let my aim be off.'