{3} TA, It's Cold Outside

I should never be allowed to stay in a call alone with a teacher's assistant (TA). Scratch that, I should just never talk to men because clearly I lack an awareness of my surroundings.

Future robber, let me live in peace, please. I'm a broke college student and robbing me is not worth your time unless you want to take my homework.

It was a cold, winter day and online classes were always a pain. My room was freakishly cold because why give the only daughter a heat insulated room, right? Anyway, I sat there behind my laptop with my teeth chattering. For one of my introduction biology classes, the TA had special sessions where he went over content that we were confused on, and since it was a pandemic, the session was online.

Listen, I struggle with my major on a daily basis, and if the opportunity arises for free help, hell yeah I was taking it. I typed in the code to get into the session, expecting multiple students to be there.

But there wasn't a single person in the call. Not one. Not even the TA was there.

I'd gone to a few of his sessions before and sometimes he ran late, which was understandable, so I didn't make a big deal and decided to sit there, mindlessly typing up some textbook notes for organic chemistry.

My room felt like a freezer, so what did I do as I sat behind my desk? I sang.

Not just any song either. I sang a winter classic to myself, not knowing that my microphone was unmuted.

"Baby it's cold outside," I mumbled to myself. "I gotta go away. Baby it's cold outside."

A male voice drifted into my headphones. "Uh... hello?"

Every nerve in my body felt the embarrassment on my face, and it was no longer cold anymore.

There it was, the microphone symbol blinking green at me, an indication that my TA heard everything.

He started to laugh in the silence. "It's okay. I just never heard you speak before in these sessions."

I was too embarrassed too speak. I could have left the call, but he already acknowledged me and it would be rude to ditch now. How did I end up here?

"So," he drawled out. "Since it's just us, you're free to ask me any concept that you're confused on. This can be our one-on-one session."

This heightened my interest. He was right. I could ask him to go over any concept in the time slot I had with him and get on his good side. It never hurt to be friends with a TA. They always had secret tips to succeed and I desperately wanted to do well.

Plus, I already embarrassed myself anyway. It couldn't get any worse.

"I'm sorry you had to hear me sing. I was cold."

"So you sing when you're cold?" he teased.

"I do a lot of things that make no sense," I said, trying to redeem myself. It wasn't working, but the effort counted.

He chuckled. "Well at least you're talking," he said and I could hear the smile in his voice. I usually only typed in chat during his sessions. "What would you like to go over?"

Shockingly, this wouldn't be the last time I made a fool of myself in front of TAs.

----

My TAs probably think I'm mental at this point.

Any particular story y'all want to read about from my college life? As you can see, this is a very informal, funny book.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!