{4} Wannabe Male Lead

It was no secret that my books have a lot of older brother references. I never had a sister growing up and every time I asked my mom for one, she told me to shut up and be grateful. I stopped asking once I saw it was no use.

And when my mom stopped throwing sandals at me.

Regardless, I grew up with a singular older brother, and the age gap between us was pretty far. To put it to reference, he was taking his SATs while I played with Barbie dolls.

Lots of my books have older brother personalities with dialogue that comes straight from my brother. I never told him I based most of the brother figures off his personality sort of like Voldemort splitting his soul into horcruxes.

But when does that ever stop curiosity?

"So why can't I see what you're writing again?" he asked, trying to peek at my laptop before I hid the page. He sighed. "You know I can always Google your books."

"But you won't," I said, starting to type the latest chapter. "Now, go away. I'm trying to focus."

"But I wanna know which older brother is me," he whined like a dog.

I rolled my eyes. "None of them."

"You're definitely lying." He paused for a moment, contemplating what little information I gave him about my books. His eyes brightened as a light bulb went off. "What about that CEO guy with the little brother? He's the one all your fans simp over, right?"

I released a good hearty laugh, almost in disbelief. "You really thought you were CEO level," I teased, wiping my tears of joy away. "What a good joke. You can't be Ibrahim. Your backstory wouldn't even make sense with his, not to mention you don't have a hotness radar."

His face scrunched into disgust. "Ew. People gave him a hotness radar?"

"My fans call Ibrahim 'daddy' material."

"Moving on," he said, back on his quest. "I got it. I'm the high school-"

This time, I interrupted him. "Stop picking male leads. You're not the star."

I could have swore I saw his puppy ears come down. "Fine. Since you want to be rude," he scoffed. "Maybe I'm the twin brothers that all those Muslim girls fight over. Isn't one of them a computer engineer?"

"First of all, they're too iconic for you to claim. Second of all, you're not an engineer. Third of all, who the hell would be your twin? That sounds like a nightmare."

"But they're into Harry Potter! You literally copy and pasted our conversation into that book and my muffin analogy," he argued.

I mean, he wasn't wrong. "Not everything is about you!"

"You're so difficult," he groaned. "Okay, what about that crime fighting brother? He took down a serial killer."

"And you torment me with scary movies instead of tracking down crime. You're not on the same wavelength."

"Do you have any normal older brothers in your books? What the heck is this?" he asked, exasperated. "I can't live up to that image."

"Well, they're not you to begin with."

"Not even the manager girl's brother?"

I weighed both their personalities mentally. My brother did act like Daris when I did my homework and he also had that charismatic trait in him, however my brother was shy and reserved. I was the outgoing sibling.

Yes and no should have been my answer.

My silence got to him. "You know what?" he started, beginning to leave as a smile graced his lips. "Maybe I'm just all of them. Your older brother characters have some weird lives."

"If they didn't, would anyone read about them?"

He shrugged. "I'm not the writer here."

"Exactly," I stressed. "Now get out of my room and let the writer do the writing."

"You're really not going to tell me which one is me?"

"No."

"Not even if I beg?"

"I don't care."

"Fine," he said, feeling defeated. "But I'll figure it out one day."

As he was walking away, I couldn't hide the smile on my face. I'd never admit this to him, but it was heartwarming to think he already knew so much about my characters, knew about the storylines I gave them, and knew about the way my fans reacted to every character's story.

Maybe I couldn't write a character that fit his personality. Not when they all resembled some part of him.

----

Figured I'd let y'all know the funny details behind where some of those older brother characters came from. Not joking, this was a real conversation.

Any character y'all wanna hear the backstory of how I came up with them?

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!