{7} How to Not Be Supportive

I wish I could say working at a lab was all science and smart people, but I'd be lying. Labs are full of chaotic energy to the max. Like when I say chaos, I mean chaos.

Before I begin, I want to put a little disclaimer here. There are some details of my job that I legally cannot disclose, hence why I will not speak in too much details about it, but funny moments is another thing. 

Anyway, back to the story.

Given the pandemic, lab work increased, patience and overall morale deeply plummeted. No one wants to be stuck in a lab all day when the world is passing by in a blur. People have different ways of dealing with stress while others live in the moment. 

I was doing some last minute tasks around the lab, absentmindedly thinking about how to level up some of my Genshin characters when I got home. One of the lab scientists was talking to another guy from the night shift, and somehow I found myself in their conversation. 

"I'm alone for this, and I don't know what I'm doing," he sighed, running his hands through his hair, stress evident in his eyes. 

The other guy shrugged, grabbing the materials they needed as he played the role of a good friend that listened. 

"I quit smoking recently too-" he was explaining just as the lab door opened. 

A female scientist walked in, brows furrowed in confusion. "Oh no. Why would you do that?" she asked. 

Not going to lie, I had the same question. 

"Look man, I was trying to be a better person."

"And how's that working for you?" she mused.

He rolled his eyes at her, continuing on. "But this job stresses me the fuck out when they give shit like this to do." 

I coughed to myself, ready to incite chaos. "Not you choosing a bad time to quit smoking."

Before I get a hoard of Instagram or Wattpad DMs about me being a terrible person, I was only kidding. These are people who are at least five years older than me, some are a decade older. They have no filter because they reached a point in their lives where they stopped caring about what other people thought of them, so yes we were all kidding to some degree. 

He threw his hands in the air in exasperation. "I fucking know! Like I wake up every morning to come to this hell and wonder who the fuck told me to quit in the first place? Why am I here?"

"To get money?" I offered, causing the other to scientists to stifle their laughs. 

"I hate this." He heaved a breath, clearly tired. "Should have just taken me in my sleep."

"There's no drama in that," I said. 

"What drama is needed in death?" 

"You gotta die like a protagonist."

He seemed sick of me at this point, but a playful gleam entered his eyes. "Maybe I need to start coming in later just to avoid you." 

I scoffed. "Hey!" 

"I'm only kidding," he chuckled. "Ah, I should have quit smoking next week."

"You should have," said the female scientist, walking back into the lab with him right behind her. 

"You guys are not helping!" he yelled back. This man was lucky that the labs were practically empty. I could only imagine how loud we were all being. 

Maybe I should stop instigating nonsense at work. We all know that's never going to happen though. 

----

I'm taking so many L's this week T^T

Like I forgot how painful papers were to write. Literally how am I an author?

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!