iv. into the darkest night

FLY ME TO THE MOON
iv. INTO THE DARKEST NIGHT
I'M WITH YOU TILL THE END.

THE REMAINING RAYS OF SUNLIGHT HAD FADED OVER THE HORIZON, plunging the city of Boston into unsettling darkness

THE REMAINING RAYS OF SUNLIGHT HAD FADED OVER THE HORIZON, plunging the city of Boston into unsettling darkness. The warm weather had quickly been replaced with thundering clouds that blocked out what little light the moon and stars provided, adding to the eeriness of the night. Only soldiers were permitted to travel the streets after curfew, while the citizens were expected to stay locked up in their homes. Boston followed a strict curfew ━━ six p.m. to six a.m., where all citizens were to stay off the streets, and anyone found wandering outside would be arrested on the spot. However, it wasn't as if Julia paid much attention to the curfew. She often ran errands for the Fireflies and the best time to do so was at night. After all, her WANTED posters were plastered all over the city with a hefty award next to her name. Soldiers were limited at night, leaving more areas empty which allowed easier passage. It was only reasonable to smuggle Ellie out of the city at night, ensuring everyone's survival.

For the time being as they waited for Tess' return, Julia had tried to get some rest. But, the wooden dining table was uncomfortable and left an ache in the woman's neck. It made a slight groan leave her lips as she buried her face in the crook of her arm, trying to catch the fleeting moments of sleep. Her mind continued to wander, making it impossible for Julia to rest. Had Marlene's wounds been worse than she anticipated? It had been a gunshot wound to her side, causing Julia to clench her jaw as thoughts of Marlene dying from blood loss flashed across her mind. Loss was common in the world they lived in ━━ even more for the Fireflies as their people died in high numbers as each day passed. But, Julia could not stand to lose Marlene. She was all Julia had left.

Her overwhelming thoughts stopped when she heard Joel's voice fill the silent air. Yet, the man was not awake as he continued to lay on the aged couch. A few more incoherent words came out of his mouth, but Julia swore she heard her name muttered once or twice. She did not comment on it. Neither did Ellie, but she did notice. The young girl was seated at the window, fully content on watching the rain hit the window. Ellie had spoken up a few times, but the three had eventually fallen into a comfortable silence. She hoped Ellie had gotten some rest, knowing they would be up for the whole night to make it to the Capitol Building by morning. A yawn left Julia's lips, making her rub the sleep from her eyes as she waited for them to adjust to the darkness.

"Do you think we can trust them?" Ellie's question was sudden, making Julia jump when she noticed the teenage girl standing next to her. A frown marred her features, keeping her gaze cast downward. Her leg bounced as she wrapped her arms around herself, showing clear signs of anxiety that made a small sigh leave Julia's lips.

It wasn't as if she blamed Ellie for feeling anxious. She, herself, feared the journey ahead as the thought of being alone in the city of Infected filled her mind. But, she had a job to do ━━ protecting Ellie. She would have to set aside her fears for the greater good, knowing how important it was to get the young girl to the Capitol Building. Marlene had kept most of the details hidden, explaining it was information that Julia didn't need to know. But, she did know that Ellie held the key to making the vaccine for CBI. Julia gestured for the girl to sit in the seat next to her, wanting her to calm down a little bit before Tess arrived. Ellie did as she was told, tapping her fingers against the table as she stole a glance at the sleeping Joel. "Why do you ask that, Ellie?"