i. halcyon days

FLY ME TO THE MOON
i. HALCYON DAYS
WE'LL ALWAYS BE TOGETHER.

"MAMA, I CAN'T REACH," the young girl complained as she stood on the tips of her toes, stretching her arm as far as she could

"MAMA, I CAN'T REACH," the young girl complained as she stood on the tips of her toes, stretching her arm as far as she could. Yet, she failed to reach the white that peeked out from underneath the sage green. As a last attempt, she jumped high to spread the green paint but the stark white still glared back. She huffed, blowing a piece of her blonde hair out of her face. "That's it, I'm quitting."

"Oh? I never thought the Sarah Miller would be a quitter," the older woman teased, stealing a glance at the pouting girl. Her blue Halican Drops t-shirt ━ which had been bought when the two had attended the band's concert the year prior ━ and purple-checkered pajamas were stained green, but it didn't seem like the young girl minded.

Despite the open window, the strong odor of chemicals had filled the air over the past few hours as the mother-daughter duo painted the walls belonging to the nursery a light-toned green. It had taken a few months to pick the theme of the nursery since everyone ━ including the extended family ━ had an opinion on what the room should look like. The parents-to-be had looked over seemingly thousands of designs before they had settled for the green and white dinosaur theme, but it had been worth the struggle since everyone had fallen in love with it. It would be ironic if the newest addition to their family hated dinosaurs.

"Dad still isn't home," Sarah complained, plopping down onto the green bean bag next to the wooden dinosaur model ━ the best and most expensive piece of decoration in the whole room. Her blue eyes focused on the stick-on stars taped to the ceiling. "I actually believed him when he said he would be home by eight. Of all days to be late, he chose today."

"I know, darling," She whispered softly, letting out a deep sigh as her dark brown eyes flickered to the fossil-shaped clock on the wall. It was a quarter after eleven ━ the two had started their painting session around eight o'clock and exhaustion was starting to set in. After a few moments of deliberation, the mother-to-be decided they were done for the night. After all, it would still be another month before the baby's arrival. She set the paint roller into the pan, moving toward the white rocking chair near the crib before she took a seat. "I didn't think painting would be so hard."

"Me neither," Sarah agreed, turning to face the tired expression on the older woman's face. "This baby better appreciate all the hard work we're putting in for him."

Never in a million years did Julia Miller think she would be a mother ━ the woman had always be career-driven and ambitious from a young age. She had always dreamed of working in the medical field, wanting to do her part to save the world. But, then she had fallen in love with her best friend, Joel, and the two had a whirlwind romance that Julia never wanted to let go of. Of course, she never let go of her dream. Julia worked as a DNP nurse at the local hospital, but had taken a leave of absence after she had hit seven months. Fortunately, Joel earned enough to keep the household running and Julia had some money saved up to afford a few months off work.